Chapter 10 - Keefe

Keefe was already outside by the Panakes tree, shivering slightly because of the cold. As soon as he had heard Sophie's idea, he had thrown on a tunic and some pants and raced outside. Only then had he realized that he should have dressed warmer, for he was shivering in the cold.

His heart leaped when he saw a figure, racing towards him from the house. He temporarily forgot about the cold as he watched her race towards him.

"Foster!" Keefe whisper-shouted. "Took you long enough!" He teased.

She shrugged. "Sorry," she panted. "Biana's a light sleeper, so I had to be careful not to wake her."

"Uh huh." He raised his eyebrows.

"No, really!" She protested, shoving his chest playfully.

Keefe settled down, sitting on the grass and leaning on the tree trunk. "So what did you want to talk about out here, anyway?"

"I... don't know," Sophie admitted, also sitting down, resting her head on Keefe's shoulder.

"Just couldn't get enough of the Hair, could you?" Keefe asked playfully. "I mean, it is amazing. But who knew that you loved it that much?"

"I did not come here for your hair!" Sophie said, looking up and giving him a cute glare. "I just came here because... I wanted to talk," She said in a softer voice.

Keefe gave her a reassuring shoulder pat. "Then good thing Lord Hunkyhair will always be here for you," He said. "Spill."

And so she did. Words flowed out of her, fretting about all sorts of things: Her unmatchable status, Fitz (Keefe tensed up slightly when he heard the name), Team Valiant, the Neverseen, Silveny, Greyfell, Wynn, and Luna... The list went on and on.

Keefe listened patiently, but he soon became only slightly distracted by the adorable little crease that was forming in between Sophie's eyebrows. He stared at it for a long time, then reached over and gently smoothed it out.

"Relax, Foster," He said as his hand trailed on her forehead. "There's no need to worry."

"There's no need to worry?! There's every need to worry!" Sophie cried, standing up suddenly, causing Keefe's finger to nearly poke her eye, but she didn't seem to care.

"There's the Neverseen to worry about! Team Valiant! The Council!" She said, wringing her hands and pacing. Keefe had never seen her this agitated before. He had to do something. So he snuck up behind her and hugged her.

All at once she seemed to go limp, surrendering to the warmth of his hug.

"It's going to be fine, Foster. Please. Just... relax. I can feel your emotions, remember? Relax. For me." He hugged her tightly and heard her sob into his tunic. As the tears dripped down his shoulder, he sat down on the grass again, taking her with him, and took out the handkerchief bearing the Sencen crest that his father always made him carry.

"Here," He said simply, offering the piece of cloth to Sophie. She looked at it, then looked back at him.

"Are-are you okay with me using it?" She blubbered. "I mean, i-it's your f-family crest..."

"And since when have I ever cared for my family or their crest?" He said, stroking her blonde hair softly. "Use it. After all, it is my family who is causing you most of your trauma."

After that, she didn't object as she wiped her tears and blew her nose. The two sat there for a long time, enjoying each other's company. Keefe stroked her hair, kind of finger-combing it, while Sophie snuggled against him. Suddenly Keefe knew. He knew that he had to do it here. He pulled her up to his eye level.

"Sophie," He croaked, then cleared his throat. "Sophie. I have to tell you something." Her brown eyes searched his.

"What is it?" She asked. Then suddenly Keefe got cold feet again, seeing how beautiful and pure and brave she was. He didn't want to ruin her forever with his confession. But it was too late to back down.

"I..." He choked out. "I really like you, Sophie." And then he waited for her reaction.

a/n: Ta da! Cliffhanger! Mwa ha ha ha ha! Now I see why Shannon likes them so much. You'll get to see Sophie's reaction to this news in the next chapter! Maybe I should consider waiting two weeks to write the next chapter. *Cue evil laughs*