Chapter 6 - Keefe

Soon after Sophie left, Fitz did too, and Keefe had pretty much completely forgotten about the sleepover/slumber party that he and Sophie were so excited about in the first place. Instead, he moped around, bingeing on more human cookies that Sophie had brought back from the Forbidden Cities.

It wasn't until 2 p.m. that Keefe began to feel more like himself and resigned himself to stop moping around.

Buzz. Buzz. He looked around, startled until he saw the Imparter vibrating. Keefe eagerly leaped toward it, thinking that it was Sophie.

"Sophie?" He asked as soon as he accepted the hail. What he heard instead was snickering.

"No, it's me, Keefe." Dex's blue eyes and strawberry-blonde hair appeared in the square. His face had a look of glee on it. Keefe groaned.

"You can't tell anyone about this." He warned. "Especially not Sophie."

"Oh yes! I have blackmailing power over Keefe Sencen!" He smirked. "But you don't need to worry about me telling anybody. I'm pretty sure everyone already knows. Except for Sophie."

Keefe groaned again, banging his head on the wall. "Was I that obvious?" He asked.

"Yeah, you were," Dex replied, watching in glee. "Anyway, that wasn't what I came here to talk about." His eyes gleamed. "Wanna play a prank on Wonderboy?" Even after everything they'd been through together, a part of Dex still slightly resented Fitz. Plus, he had also finally taken up being Keefe's apprentice and following in his pranking footsteps. But right now... he wasn't in the mood.

Keefe tried to muster up a grin but hesitated before making his decision. "I... Maybe?"

Dex must have noticed the tone of his voice because his smile faded and he asked, "Why not?"

"I never said no," Keefe pointed out.

"Dude." He scoffed. "You basically did."

"Well... Keefe wasn't sure what to say. "I'm in a pretty precarious situation with Fitz right now. I don't want to make it worse." He felt a strong urge to follow in Sophie's footsteps and tug out an eyelash.

"That stupid drama between you two," Dex grumbled then shuddered. "I'm glad that I'm Sophie's best friend now." He sighed. "Fine, I'll do it myself." It took Keefe a minute to realize that Dex was talking about the prank, but by then he was already gone.

Dex's offhand comments about Sophie had him thinking about her. So he tiptoed to the Leapmaster and yelled, "Havenfield!"

a/n: I'm not going to end this chapter yet because they've been getting shorter and shorter

~•*•~

"Foster?" Keefe called as he glittered into existence. He looked around and spotted a figure sitting near the Panakes tree. He immediately ran there.

"Edaline?" Keefe said, staring at the person underneath the tree. Edaline looked up from her book, surprised.

"Oh hey, Keefe! What are you doing here?" She asked, but she answered for him. "You're here to see Sophie, aren't you." She smiled teasingly at Keefe. He didn't know how to respond.

"W-well, yeah. Obviously," He said, his cheeks heating up slightly. He looked around. "So where is Sophie?"

"Oh, she's up in her room." Edaline gestured vaguely towards the house. "You go ahead. I'll send some ripplefluffs up soon."