Chapter 4 - Keefe

The next morning, Keefe woke up with Sophie in his face.

"Ahhh!" He screamed, backing up slightly before he realized who it was. "Sophie? What are you doing here?"

She tugged out an eyelash. "I... woke up early this morning, and I came here." She explained. "Then I realized that you were still sleeping and you looked so peaceful so I didn't want to wake you, so..." She shrugged, letting the pause speak for itself.

"So you creepily watched me sleep?" Keefe joked, sitting upright. Good thing that he was so tired last night from endless drawing and memory-searching that he had fallen asleep in his tunic. Otherwise, it would've been awkward.

Sophie's cheeks flamed at what he was implying. "N-no! I just..." She gestured helplessly at his desk. "...Looked at your drawings."

Keefe smirked. "Now there's that adorable Foster blush we all know and love. I don't blame you for watching me. Who could resist this handsome face?" He said, teasing her, and causing her to blush even more. "Anyway, did you come here just to look at my art? Why would you come so early in the morning?"

Sophie snorted. "It's not early, Keefe. Right now it's 11 o'clock!"

"That counts as early for me." He countered.

She sighed. "You're right. I did come here for a reason. I... talked to Fitz last night, and..." Keefe visibly stiffened a little, though Sophie didn't notice because she was too busy recounting the events of last night.

"And he said...some weird things. But Keefe," she sighed again. "I think...I have to see him again. I can't just talk to him through an Imparter. We need to have a real talk. One where you can't just hang up."

Keefe sighed too. "I won't object," He told her. "Then again, do you really think this is a good idea? Maybe..." he hesitated for a second, and then an idea hit him. "Maybe it could be like a group sleepover! You could invite Biana! And Dex. And Linh."

"You forgot to mention Tam," Sophie said, smiling up at him.

"Please. As if I'd ever mention Bangs Boy." He mock-scowled, and Sophie couldn't help but giggle.

"So do you agree? Do you think we should do it? Pleeeeeeease agree. Please?" He looked at her with puppy-dog eyes.

Sophie took one look at him and broke. "Fine. But do you really think I'll be able to talk with Fitz?"

"You will," Keefe said firmly. "We'll all be there for emotional support."

"Thanks," she said, smiling softly then stepping across the room to hug him.

"Anytime, Foster," he breathed.

Sophie shrugged. "It was a genius idea," she admitted, snuggling against his chest.

"I know. I'm a genius," he joked, fiddling with Sophie's hair.

She looked up and glared at him. "Don't make me pillow-punch you," Sophie warned, grabbing a nearby pillow.

Keefe smirked again. "Oh, it is so on, Foster." He too grabbed a pillow, then directly smacked Sophie with it.

"Hey!" She yelled, putting her pillow in front of her to shield herself as Keefe made more attacks. She stood up and brought the pillow down on his head, mussing up his hair, which was already perfect.

"Not the hair!" Keefe yelled as Sophie bashed him some more. After one particularly vicious smack, Keefe caught Sophie's arm and pulled her down to sit on the bed. "I am going to win this," he whispered in her ear, then stood up. 

"I win!" He yelled. "I, the great Keefinator, has defeated the Foster! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!" He let loose an evil laugh, at least until Sophie, laughing along with him, pushed his leg and made him fall down on the bed.

"Okay, okay! Let's stop! We can save this for the sleepover!" Sophie yelled in between uncontrollable giggle-laughs. "I'm going to hail Biana and Linh, well, Linh along with Tam."

"And I get the job of taking care of Fitz?" He asked, raising an eyebrow when Sophie's cheeks turned red. "Ah, I see how it is."

Sophie blushed furiously. "That's not how it is," She retorted. "I mean... We can switch! If that's what you want, Keefe."

"Nah, it's fine," Keefe said gently. "Besides, you already have enough on your hands. I can take care of this."

"Thank you." She said, then hugged him.

"Anytime Foster," Keefe breathed out, reciprocating and bringing her in closer, patting her shoulder slightly. "Anytime."

Then they heard someone clearing their throat.

Both of them pulled away from the hug and turned towards the door. Keefe never thought he would wish for his father to be there, but there he was, wishing for it. Too bad he already recognized the voice of who it was.

It was Fitz.

And he did not look happy.