Chapter 12 - Keefe

"Sophie, no, wait!" Keefe called as he stood up and called after the distant figure running towards the cliffs. "Wait!" But it was too late. She would be well beyond the range of his voice by now.

He sank to the ground. "Why did this have to go so badly?" He moaned to himself. Fitz had given him all the details (even the ones he didn't need to know) about the day that he confessed to Sophie. And it had gone so well, unlike his.

How come Fitz gets everything on a silver platter? He thought, gritting his teeth and feeling the need to smash something. Not that he thought that Fitz's life wasn't rough. He knew it was tough to bear the pressure of being a Vacker, especially since their popularity had spiraled downhill. But it still seemed that everything was always so much easier with his best friend.

Then Keefe heard faint screams. And they were coming from the direction of the cliffs. He bolted upright, face paling. It couldn't be Sophie, could it be? As he hurriedly ran towards that area, he could feel threads of emotions trailing through the air. They were undoubtedly Sophie's.

Worry. Fear. Anger. Concern. Pain. Frustration. Desperation. Guilt. Regret. And then... Defeat. Keefe picked up the pace as he felt Sophie's emotions eclipse. Another wave of pain drifted to him, and he pushed himself harder, trying to get to Sophie before whatever thing that had her feeling all these negative feelings could take her away.

I'm coming, Sophie. Keefe thought, determined. Just as he rounded the corner, he saw for a split second his mother, two other cloaked figures, and Sophie. Her eyes were closed, and from the peaceful way that she dangled from her captor's arms, she might as well have been sleeping. But he saw the cloth pressed over her nose.

Mother, he thought, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists. "Give Sophie back!" He yelled.

Gisela only smiled maliciously at him. "No can do, son," she lilted, raising a crystal to the light.

Then a flash of light overtook his vision, and they were gone.