Chapter 18 - Keefe

"... and so we found this note saying we have to go to Exile to find Sophie," Biana finished, watching everyone as they absorbed the information

While the others were slowly nodding their heads and processing everything, Keefe immediately leaped to his feet.

"So what are we waiting for?" He demanded. "Shouldn't we be heading to Exile right this minute? I volunteer!"

"Keefe," Biana said gently, going over to him and pushing him back down into his seat. "We need to plan first. And you aren't going, Fitz and Marella are."

He leaned back, sputtering in rage. "B-but... I have to find Sophie!" He cried, wildly looking around for anyone to back him up. Everyone quickly averted their eyes, not wanting to become the subject of his anger.

"Keefe," Biana said with her teeth gritted, waves of annoyance and impatience wafting off her. "I told you, this might be a wild goose chase. Sophie's probably not even there. You don't want yourself to be in danger for nothing, do you, Keefe? You need to be safe when she comes back.

He scowled and leaned even further back into the couch. He didn't like it, but Biana was right. Wait, he commanded himself. Wait for Sophie. Hang on for her. We will find her.

"You definitely need some Councillors with you," Bronte said. The other Councillors nodded their heads, agreeing with me.

"But there can't be too many people," Mr. Forkle warned. "That would arouse too much suspicion. But we do need at least one Black Swan member on each team."

"We could have two groups," Keefe suggested. "That way there won't be a bunch of people altogether. It would save time."

The leader of the Black Swan nodded. "You kids do have some good ideas," he muttered, watching him with approval. Keefe smiled placidly.

"We think that Councillors Velia and Darek should go," Councillor Emery, the spokesperson of the Council spoke up. "Velia is quite good with maps and Darek is a Phaser."

Keefe zoned out as all the adults began talking about plans. I'm not going, so what's the use of listening at all? He thought bitterly. Instead, he began thinking of Sophie. Everything about her. Her amazingness, kindness, how adorable she was, her courage, everything. How she cared for him when nobody else would. He sighed. Now, he didn't know if she would ever come back. And if she came back, would she even want to talk to him, knowing that he had caused her kidnapping? A wave of his own depression washed into his mind. Keefe couldn't imagine a world without Foster.

"Hey, maybe we should take a break," Biana called out to the rest of the room, who were haggling over who would be on each team. Keefe felt the waves of worry and concern wash over him and looked up wearily to see Biana's gaze on him. Ever since that day when Sophie had gone, Biana seemed to make it her personal goal to take care of him. Although, of course, she no longer had feelings for him in that way. Even he had realized how Tam and Biana seemed closer now, more comfortable with their little nudges and glances. He tilted his lips up in a bitter half-smirk. Bet they didn't think I would notice.

"Hey, Bi," he said as she came over to sit with him, Tam trailing a ways behind her. "What's with your shadowy bodyguard there?"

Tam scowled openly and opened his mouth, seemingly about to fling an insult back at him, before Biana glared at them both.

"Stop fighting you two!" She exclaimed, rolling her eyes before turning back to Keefe and placing her hands on his. "Are you sure you're all right, Keefe?"

"I'm fine," he gently extracted himself from her grasp, ignoring the hurt look on her face. "I just..." he exhaled gently. "I just need some time." He walked away, pretending not to hear Biana's calls.

Time is exactly what I need, he thought, walking into the kitchen. And lots and lots of snacks.

a/n: Didn't really have much motivation for this one, but the next chapter will be easier to write. At least, I hope so. That's what I always say. See you guys next century when I post!