Chapter 19 - Sophie

"Wake up," a gruff voice said, shaking her shoulder roughly. "It's time for breakfast."

Sophie opened her eyes blearily to find a strange new girl frowning down at her. The girl quickly stepped back, crossing her arms.

"They're waiting for you," she mumbled, glancing toward the door.

"Who is?" Sophie said, yawning and stretching her arms.

"The other recruits," the girl said shortly, clearly not in the mood for a conversation.

But what she said only made Sophie have more questions. "Recruits?" She said, looking up at the girl curiously.

This time, she only grunted. "Everything will be explained later," she said, throwing a black tunic, black leggings, dark brown boots, and a yellow crystal at her. "For now, get changed, then come out," she said, exiting the room.

Sophie glanced down at the clothes, sighed, and got of bed. As she changed, more questions swarmed her mind. Who was this girl? What did she mean by recruits? And why can I barely remember anything?

After she got changed, she went into a little bathroom that extended out from her main room and began to brush her teeth.

After she was done with everything, Sophie came out the door of her room and found the girl waiting, tapping her boots on the ground.

"Good. You're ready," she said, before taking off at a brisk pace down a hallway. Sophie hurried to keep up with her, and quickly followed in her footsteps.

The only sound that she could hear was the tap-tap-tap of their boots on the hallways as they walked. The silence between them was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. After walking for what seemed like an eternity, Sophie spotted a pair of double doors at the end of the hallway, which she assumed was the dining hall.

When they got to the door, the girl carefully pressed her crystal to a crystal mirror, which had at first only seemed like a decoration. After a couple of seconds, the doors silently opened without squeaking, and the girl silently gestured for Sophie to follow her.

Sophie hesitantly stepped into the room, flinching slightly as the doors shut loudly behind her. She raised her eyes and stared in awe at the magnificent dining hall.

The entire hall was made from what seemed like a smoky brown gemstone, shining dully in the background. In the middle of the ceiling hung a gigantic, golden chandelier, emanating warm light. The floor was scrubbed clean, and the dark wood shone brightly. The tables were also a beautiful, lighter wood, with a thin veneer of crystal polish on top to make sure the wood didn't get damaged. Every bit of this place was welcoming, warm, and a huge contrast from the stony, gray walls of the hallways.

Yet something about this place, spooked, terrified Sophie. Something inside of her rebelled against this place, begging to be let out. You don't belong here, it told her. You're not supposed to be here.

She vigorously stomped down the emotion, though her heart wasn't in it. You do belong here, like it or not, she thought. Gazing around the room at all the people chatting, laughing, and eating around the tables, she told herself, this is my new family.

Sophie snapped back to real life as someone called for her. The girl was headed toward one of the tables near the sides, by the huge crystal windows.

"Come on!" She called impatiently. "Sophie, isn't it?" She beckoned her over impatiently. "Come over here!"

Sophie's feet quickly obeyed, carrying her over to the table where the girl was standing.

"So, Sophie," the girl said, pulling out two chairs and sinking one of them. "Sit down, and we'll introduce ourselves."