Chapter Sixteen

She pulled herself away from the Captain and his ship, and started up towards the marketplace. Although the surroundings were familiar, Scarlett realized how different it all looked to her. She imagined herself prior to being captured, wandering through the crowds on her way to her father's bakery, unaware of the dangers and adventures she would experience. Now, her outlook had changed - on pirates, the world, and her family.

Before reaching the center of town, Scarlett followed a path up the cliff that led to her home. She wrapped her headscarf closely around her face, as she wondered what would happen if someone recognized her. Did they all think she was dead? Or did they even know she had disappeared? Stepping along the downtrodden grass, she pondered the questions in her mind.

The sunset glistened across the ocean as she ascended the cliff. Having the perfect view, Scarlett looked back towards the dock. Her eyes caught sight of the familiar flag that whipped in the wind on the highest mast. The Captain's ship was beginning to sail away, and she paused to watch it for the last time. She smiled sadly, realizing how she would miss the sight of his ship.

She peeled her eyes away and took her sister's necklace in her hand. What am I going to say to them? Mother and Father must not know. At least right now. She tucked the necklace in her stays again, and proceeded on her way.

She continued to mull over her thoughts as she approached her home. Standing in front of the door, she heard a faint voice from inside, making her nerves increase. Before they could take over, Scarlett opened the door.

Nothing had changed about the Hamilton family: her father and Joseph sat by the hearth, while William and her mother were cooking supper. Scarlett had less than a second to take this in, before Catherine jumped from Scarlett's sudden entry, her face turning white.

"Scarlett," Catherine said. She stared expectantly at her mother, who looked like she would faint. "Oh my Lord, Scarlett!"

She ran over and threw her arms around her daughter, as the rest of the household remained in shock. George rose unsteadily from his chair and approached the two women, followed by William and Joseph.

With tears in his eyes, George placed his hands on Scarlett's cheeks. "Can this really be?"

Quickly, her brothers joined the hug and enveloped their sister. "Scarlett, I can't believe it's you," William said, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"We thought we would never see you again," Joseph interjected.

"I thought I would never see you all again." Scarlett's words were nearly indistinguishable as she began to sob, the joy of seeing her family again erasing all other thoughts and fears.

"Please, sit down," Catherine said, as she wiped away her tears and motioned for Scarlett to sit by the fire. "What happened to you? Where have you been? You look very tired--and your clothes. Oh my poor Scarlett, I can't imagine what you have been through!"

"What happened, Scarlett?" her father reiterated. Seeing the serious expression on his face, Scarlett knew what he was thinking. In that moment, she decided she had to tell them about being captured.

She took in a breath, looking at the expectant faces of her family. They had all gathered around her, their faces shining with the joy of her return but also eager to hear the events of her absence. "I wish I didn't have to tell you, because I know how you worry." She looked at her mother, whose face began to look anxious. "I was taken by pirates."

"Pirates!" Catherine gasped. "Taken by pirates! George, I told you I worried about these things."

"Catherine, please let her continue," George said.