Chapter Four

Scarlett knew when the ship had arrived at dock. Commotion erupted from outside the cabin door, and pirates were shouting to and fro about tying the ship to the dock. Scarlett knew it was time to exit the cabin.

Slowly, she opened the door and peeked through. She watched a few pirates walking away from the ship while others were still struggling to tie the ropes around the dock posts. Scarlett had decided to wait until everyone had left. She had no prepared escape plan, and her stomach churned from her nerves.

Swinging the door open wide, the Captain said, "Come on out, love! Don't be shy." After Scarlett jumped back in surprise, he pulled her out of the doorway and directed her towards the plank that stretched out to the dock. Scarlett hesitated but knew she couldn't go back. Gathering her skirts, she stepped onto the plank, and he followed behind. Scarlett's heart pounded in her chest as she realized any moment may be her chance of escape.

---------

Pirates surrounded her at all sides, and she was beginning to feel claustrophobic. Scarlett wondered at the reason for this, if any, and decided they must had been instructed to not allow any space between her and the freedom lingering outside of her circle. She looked beyond, out into the cool night, longing to walk on another path. However, that could come true, if she just gathered the courage to take her chance. In the meantime, she casually strolled with the Captain still closely following her.

The group arrived at a dingy tavern closely nestled between two other small buildings. From outside, chaotic sounds of shouting, singing, and stringed instruments could be heard. Scarlett dreaded entering inside, and wished she could be like the few people who wandered carelessly on the cobblestone streets. She yearned to tell them she was with these pirates against her will, to call for help, and find some caring soul in the foreign place she was in.

Walking past the creaking door, the sounds grew louder and dozens of candles illuminated the room. The air felt musty and warm, and had a stench of beer and rum combined. The buzz of conversation came from men and women, either pirates or barmaids, or commoners who lived in the town and had no better a reputation than the others.

Immediately, the Captain was escorted by two barmaids to a table in the corner. The rest of the crew either joined him or parted off to join others that they apparently knew quite well. Scarlett never before felt so uncomfortable in her life as she stood by herself in the entry way, unsure of her next move. Quickly, however, she decided that it was definite - she would have to wait for her chance to escape - so she turned to the Captain and joined his table.

"Ah, ladies," he said, as she approached, "I'd like you to meet my dear friend, Scarlett Hamilton!" Scarlett felt a scowl creeping onto her face as he called her his "dear friend," but quickly chased it away with a slight smile. She saw a chance that they could be kind enough to help her if she alerted them to her situation, and she didn't want to throw that possibility away.

"Hello," she said, as sweetly as she could, though the response wasn't mutual. The two barmaids had gleams in their eyes that declared competition, and the blonde moved closer to the Captain, putting her arm through his.

The dark-haired, slightly plump barmaid turned completely away from Scarlett, saying, "Captain, can we get you anything to drink tonight? Anything at all!"

"Yes of course! Bring out the usual - and a lot of it for our special guest!" He looked at Scarlett with a smirk on his face, but she only glared in return. There was no way any drop of beer would be sliding down her throat, she wasn't going to take part in anything. She was going to escape as soon as she could. But how? As she sat quietly amongst the deafening commotion, wringing her nervous hands in her lap, she glanced around for an escape route. There was the front door they entered through, and a back door - where it led, she did not know, and using it would be a risk. However, her thoughts came back to the Captain and his crew. There was no way she could succeed escaping, outnumbered as she was. But then again, it was worth a try. Would she really make it out of this imprisonment anyway?