Chapter Fifteen

Lively music drifted across the ship and out into the expansive ocean. As the crew took turns navigating and steering, the ship swayed with the waves that splashed against its sides. Lanterns lit up the main deck, where the others were stationed for the night. A few held worn instruments, while the rest danced and spun each other around. Despite the poor condition of their instruments, Scarlett thought they played wonderfully.

The Captain gazed at her. "Care to dance?"

Before she could make a reply, a pirate walked up, who Scarlett recognized from the first day on the ship. He had tossed her headscarf and shawl into the crowd. "May I have this dance, miss?" She thought back to their first encounter, but looking at his beaming face, she felt it would be rude to turn his invitation down. Taking his extended hand, she allowed herself to be swept into the center of the dancing. She glanced at the Captain as they left him standing alone, but saw a smirk plastered on his face and his hands behind his back. His eyes followed her everywhere. Her attention, however, was directed to her partner when he spoke.

"You look lovely tonight, miss," he said amongst the animated dancing.

"Thank you," she replied. "By the way, what's your name?"

"John," he said.

"Nice to meet you, John," she answered, as he twirled her around. Another pirate tapped John's shoulder, this one taller and thinner. After receiving a scowl from John, he stepped in with the beat and continued dancing with Scarlett until the song finished.

With each beginning of a new song, Scarlett switched dancing partners. She laughed as she watched the frequent, lighthearted bickering, and tried to catch her breath in between each pirate's turn.

As the hour wore on, the stars continued to flicker against the black sky, the moonlight shone brighter, and the songs were still lively and upbeat. As Scarlett danced with a burly pirate, she glanced around for the Captain. Through all the dancing pirates, she couldn't find him anywhere. Then she spotted James.

Seeing him dressed in a clean shirt and with his hair neatly combed back, Scarlett couldn't help but think he looked older. As she gazed at his appearance, he brought his attention upon her, a large smile spreading across his face. Then, he walked over to her on the floor.

"Pardon me," he said to her partner, with a tap on the man's shoulder. "May I cut in?" The pirate complied and James instantly took hold of Scarlett's hand. "Hello," he said.

"Good evening," Scarlett replied.

"How do I look?" James gave her a boyish grin, reminding her of the innocent spirit still inside him.

"You look very handsome," Scarlett replied. "I'm sure many girls would love to be where I am right now."

James blushed. "Oh, you're just being nice, miss – I mean, Scarlett. But you look nice as well. Have you noticed the way the Cap' looks at you yet?"

Scarlett was taken aback by the direct question, and searched her thoughts for a response. Her silence, though, was enough to satisfy James.

"I'll take that as a 'Yes,'" he laughed. "Well, speak of the Devil!" James' exclamation surprised Scarlett for a second before she turned to see the Captain had approached them.

"Really?" The Captain arched his eyebrow. "Well, this Devil wants to have this dance."

"Sorry, Cap'," James replied. "I've already got a partner!"

The Captain grinned. "Well your Captain says to find another."

"Aye, sir. She's all yours." James released his grip from Scarlett and dramatically saluted the Captain. With a thank you, the Captain grasped Scarlett's hand and waist, and turned his attention toward her.