Chapter Two

"Well look what we have here! Looks like we caught ourselves a mermaid, aye mates?"

Scarlett felt butterflies in her stomach, but quickly tried to hide her frightened emotions from her face as she straightened her posture. Right before her eyes was the captain of the ship, but he wasn't just any ordinary captain - he happened to be the most feared pirate on England's coastlines and carried a horrible reputation. He was the only pirate that Scarlett's father warned his children to beware. She instantly recognized him from the precise and detailed descriptions from her father. And now Scarlett found herself staring at him face-to-face.

He sauntered up to Scarlett with his boot heels clicking on the wooden deck. "Captain Alexander Jones, miss. Welcome aboard." He smirked at her but she only stared coldly into his dancing blue eyes. He was dressed completely in coal black - a fitting color. His clothes consisted of a vest worn over a loosely buttoned shirt, long pants, and knee-high boots. Scarlett particularly noticed a long silver necklace hanging from his neck, along with several rings on his fingers and a lone earring. He had short, dark hair and a well-trimmed beard. Though it was easy to tell he was a pirate, his appearance differed much from his crew.

"Please, tell your men to let go of me," Scarlett said a bit too sharply.

He raised his eyebrows at her, but instantly commanded, "Let go of her." The two pirates dropped their hands from her arms but stood nearby.

"Thank you," she said stiffly, letting out a breath that was bottled up inside her.

Taking notice of her anxiety, the Captain replied, "Don't be so nervous! Make yourself comfortable, love! So what brings you on my ship?"

"I was delivering a basket of baked goods to a ship," she said, then paused. "But I think I have found the wrong one." She pointed to the basket sitting a few feet away. He walked over to it and lifted the cloth to look inside.

"So you have," he said with a wide grin. Scarlett suddenly felt trapped, as if the pirates were surrounding her to keep her from leaving. She took her move, walking to the basket to pick it up and leave when he stepped in front of her. Now only inches away from her face, he chuckled as he said, "You really think you're going to get away that easily?" He turned to his crew and shouted, "Set sail for sea!"

"What," she exclaimed. Two pirates were pulling up the plank from the dock, and she ran to the edge where they stood. Slowly, the ship crawled alongside the dock. A crazy thought entered her mind, and she was desperate enough to do it. She set one foot on the bulwark, ready to jump off, when two pirates pulled her away. "Wait! You can't do this! Let me off this ship right now!"

"I'm afraid I can't do that, love," the Captain shouted from the wheel above the Captain's cabin. "Leslie, take her inside my cabin and make sure she makes herself comfortable."

"No! You can't do this to me!" she screamed as Leslie struggled to drag her off. Once she realized she didn't have a chance, she attempted to threaten him. "I'm not what you think I am; I will fight you until you are forced to let me go!" Only laughter was heard as the door slammed behind them.

Scarlett stood breathless with her back against the wall as she looked around the dark room. On the back wall, there were four separate windows with closed curtains that looked out the back of the ship. In the center of the room, there was an intricately decorated dining table surrounded by chairs. Off to her left, there was a small bed against the wall with a tall wardobe in the corner. Light began to shine upon the furniture as Leslie partially opened the curtains.

"Make y'self at home, miss," he said. "The cap' has nice, comfortable seats in here and good food too." He pointed to the bowls of fruit and bread scattered on the table.