Chapter Five

"Testing me?" Scarlett exclaimed as she stared at the Captain in utter confusion. She was sick of him keeping secrets. "What for!"

He stared at her with his arms crossed, then turned to his crew. "Should I tell her?"

"Yes, please, I think that would be a good idea!" Scarlett snapped.

"Hey, don't forget your place!" the Captain said. "I don't know why I'm wasting my time with you." He sunk his face in his hands for a second before continuing with a sigh. "In almost every port where my ship docks, my crew and I go to the town, just like we did tonight. I'm sure you are aware of a pirate's life, because you are clearly not ignorant. So I took the opportunity to give you a test, to see who you really are. I have to admit, it looked like you were beginning to enjoy yourself back in the tavern and I was wishing for you not to run, because that would give me a glimmer of hope. But I now see I was mistaken."

"'Who you really are'? I told you who I am! If you're looking for someone else, you are mistaken! And do not think that I will ever help disgusting pirates like you!"

"You don't have a say in that!" He pointed his finger in her face. "And yes, you told me who you are. The problem at hand is you. You think you can get away from me? I shouldn't be surprised, but you're out of your depth, princess! You're a helpless girl against a group of men. You will never win. You stare coldly at me, but I know what you're really thinking. I could keep you on this ship for the rest of your life if I wanted, and you would never see your family. You have no chance of escape, and you well know it."

Scarlett's eyes darted to the knife sheath that hung from his belt as a quick response to his insults, but held back as she gave it a second thought. Instead, she fought with her words. "You may believe that all you want, that I am a woman fighting a losing battle against a group of men. But my hatred for you and the love - love - for my family is stronger than all of you combined. I will find my way back home, no matter what it takes to get there!"

A few chuckles could be heard from the crew, but the Captain stared amused at Scarlett, who took in a shaky breath while tears began to fill her eyes. "And I'll enjoy watching you try." He turned to his crew and said, "Take her to the cell under deck."

"No." Scarlett's tears fell down her face. Two pirates pulled her up from the chair and led her out the door. "No! This is unnecessary!"

"After tonight?" the Captain replied, and that was his parting to her as he turned away to his cabin.

Scarlett was led under deck into a room that was divided from the kitchen she had entered earlier. This room for prisoners was toward the front of the ship, and secluded them from contact with others. There were two cells, each on opposite sides of the room. It was musty and old dirt covered the floor.

Scarlett was stopped in front of one and stood helplessly in distress as a pirate handed her her old dress. "The Cap' wants you to change back into this. He said he doesn't want you wearing his dress anymore."

"His dress?" Scarlett scoffed. "Sure, I'll give it back to him!" She began to rip at the laces of the soft silk gown and peeled it off of her, then grabbed her dress out of the pirate's hands and pulled the itchy material on. Handing over the red dress, he pushed her inside the cell. As he turned the key in the lock, she said, "And tell your captain I don't want his clothes anymore."

After the pirate slammed the door, she was left in the dark. She dropped her face into her hands, and let her emotions loose that she had bottled up in her attempted bravery. She sobbed so loudly she thought she could be heard upstairs. But she didn't care; in fact, she was glad. Let them hear my crying, maybe they will go mad!