Chapter Eleven

Scarlett stood listening to Blackbeard in his cabin. She had to admit that his cabin was more beautiful than the Captain's. There was a large, Persian rug in the middle of the room; curtains with an intricate pattern; a heavy, wooden table with matching chairs; and a small, dusty chandelier above the table, and that was just the beginning of what Scarlett peered at in silence. She thought it was amazing that such a barbarous pirate could have a taste for lovely items, and bother to steal them from others.

"I have my men preparing a small cabin for you underdeck," Blackbeard said. "You will stay there only tonight, but after that, you sleep where the others sleep."

With that, she was escorted out and down the stairs to her small room. The pirate opened the door and nudged her to walk in. The room was dark, with only a small bed and table, with a candle whose wax was almost burnt up. Sitting on the table was a bowl of supposed food.

"Why is he having me stay here?" she asked.

The pirate shrugged. "Captain's orders," he replied. "Somethin' 'bout not wanting his sleep interrupted."

Before she could ask further questions, he slammed the door, leaving her alone. She sat on the bed, and looked at the bowl, disgusted with its contents. But even more disgusting was the Captain. Scarlett wanted to burst into tears, but knew it was best if she didn't. She had to be strong on this ship if she wanted to survive.

Yet, the abyss she was in felt only deeper. How could she get out now? She was certain she would be treated a slave, and no one on the seas cared to save her from it. She was doomed.

She placed her face in her hands, feeling the fatigue of her body take over. The sun had reclined many hours earlier, and Scarlett figured it to be somewhere in the middle of the night. She understood why Blackbeard wanted to sleep after a harsh battle. She couldn't help but agree.

Scarlett could hardly resist the pull of sleep. Disregarding her food, she laid in her bed and pulled the thin cloth over her in a vain attempt to be warm. It was cold underdeck, and she shivered as she pulled her legs to her chest, feeling the aching effects of battle. And to think it was all for nothing! She had fought her way through a losing battle, one side just as horrible as the other. Before, she truly believed the Captain could win, but how wrong she was. She should have escaped when she had the chance, but that would have only resulted in death. At least I would be out of my misery.

Scarlett was tired, but still felt the anger building inside. Even though she was ready to drift off to sleep, she promised herself to never trust another pirate again.

----------

There was a violent shake in her sleep, and Scarlett assumed it to be rough waves. But she realized she was mistaken when it happened again all too quickly. Glaring down at her was the same pirate trying to wake her up. "The Captain wants you in his room now," he said.

Brushing his arm away, she said, "Alright, just stop pushing me." He backed off and left the room, leaving her to collect herself from her sudden shock back to reality. She stood up and stretched to allow her body some relief and preparation for what was to come.

Knowing she better hurry before she was forced to go up deck, Scarlett opened her door and passed all the pirates who stared at her, some with a glare and others with a smile. Once on the main deck, she could see the gloom of the day. The sky was completely grey with clouds, not a speck of blue or a ray of sunshine. It was cold, and she rubbed the sleeves of her dress. Then, she opened the door to the cabin.

"You should have knocked first," came Blackbeard's voice before she even saw his face.

Proceeding further anyway, Scarlett straightened her posture. "I'm sorry, I didn't know."