Chapter Thirteen

Scarlett was left pondering over James' question. She was dumbfounded when he said it, and before she could inquire further, he was called back to his duties.

Had she noticed? She tried recalling the Captain looking at her the way James implied, but it was useless. She had been too wrapped up with her problems to notice what was clear as day to James. It only puzzled Scarlett more, but she was determined to figure it out. That evening, she planned to address him about everything when he returned to his cabin.

Meanwhile, she carried on by herself, frequently leaning against the bulwark to gaze out at the sea. The wind was piercingly cold, and grey clouds blanketed the sky. Despite this, the crew bustled about, attending to their duties. Scarlett observed some scrubbing the main deck, while others carried barrels underdeck. As she continued to watch, Scarlett noticed their occasional glances and smiles, some gazing a while before being nudged in the ribs. The attention made her realize how many of them were strangers to her, despite the amount of days she had spent on the ship. Their friendly smiles convinced her that they weren't that terrifying bunch she first encountered when she was captured. Now, she saw them in a different light. They weren't her enemies, despite whatever the Captain had planned.

As a result of the breeze, the ship was sailing at a fast pace, but Scarlett couldn't imagine where it was headed. Being that she had thwarted the Captain's plans to find her sister, she didn't know his next move. She was certain he was still on course to find her, and overwhelming thoughts flooded her mind when she thought of what her part would be. Would he use her as a means to blackmail her sister? A sort of bribery to force her to come back to him, knowing that her own sister was in harm's way? The Captain's sudden kindness to her must be a façade, a ploy to convince her to help him. But whatever was coming over the horizon, he was still the infamous pirate she knew from tales - a reputation not earned easily.

Scarlett's thoughts lingered to what it would be like to meet her sister, who was still nameless to her. She tried picturing a woman several years older, arms spread to welcome the embrace of her long-lost sister. Would she be reminded of her family and a longing to be with them, a connection with Scarlett as sisters? Or would she look at Scarlett with hate, remembering how they wanted nothing to do with her and the scandal she was involved in? With no mere image of her, Scarlett couldn't imagine how the scene would play out.

Dusk was moving in, and the night was growing colder. Scarlett retired to the Captain's cabin, and lit the candles on the table. Then, she sat in a chair and waited.

Scarlett saw little of the Captain the entire day. Whenever he was in view, he always occupied himself with something that lead him underdeck. She compared it to the days he usually roamed about his ship, and then concluded that he was up to something. That evening, when he would return to his cabin, she planned to find out what.

After a few minutes, the Captain entered and walked immediately to his desk. Scarlett watched him examine some papers, but after time passed and nothing was said, she broke the silence. "I want some answers. You have told me everything about your past involving my sister. But there's one thing I've asked from the very beginning that you've never fully explained. Why am I here?" He peered up to meet her gaze as she stood. "I think it's time I know."

A smirk appeared on his face, as if that question brought amusement to him. "Excuse me, but I just haven't had the time," he said.

"That's the same excuse you always give me." She crossed her arms.

"You have such a commanding presence sometimes, don't you? You'd make a good pirate." His smile caused her cheeks to flush and she uncrossed her arms. "I have been underdeck preparing to make a deal in the next port."