Chapter Fourteen

Scarlett pushed herself out of the Captain's grasp after a few seconds had passed. His kiss was too persistent, and she didn't know if she wanted to allow it. Everything in Scarlett's mind felt like a blur and her regret began to set in. "No, this shouldn't be happening," she said as she stepped back.

"No, it should," the Captain replied. "I've been trying to keep my feelings a secret, but I just couldn't hold them back any longer. You don't understand my struggle these last few days."

"No, I do. But after all that has come between us, this should not be happening." Scarlett ran her fingers through her hair. "Look – I want you to know I have compassion for you after what happened with my sister and I understand what you're feeling right now. But when you kissed me, I feel like you crossed the line. Now I'm torn between what I feel and what I've been taught my whole life." She lowered her eyes to the floor, as she sank back in the chair.

"What do you mean?"

She looked up at him with a weary smile on her face. "You're a feared pirate, Alexander. You are a living legend – stories travel across seas and through the surrounding countries! I have been raised to believe that pirates are horrible people not to have dealings with, and you must do whatever you can to get away if you become their victim. You, especially, are more popular than you realize. When I first saw you, I was terrified. I have always loved the pirate tales my father told me, but little did I know the feeling of actually becoming one of the victims. That is why I took every chance I could to escape."

"And you did a good job of it," he replied, smiling at her. Scarlett returned the smile, the first real warmth they exchanged. Her feelings went back and forth between excitement and logic. She had dreamt of sailing the seas on a pirate ship and living the pirate life. Now she could finally have that, with the Captain at her side. But her mind sang a different tune than her heart. She knew she didn't belong on a ship full of men who rebelled against the law. She belonged in the countryside where she would live a conventional life. A life of adventure was not suited for her, despite everything her heart desired.

"Alexander," she began, "I need to return to my family."

The Captain froze at those dreaded words, before pulling her up from her seat in desperation. "I want nothing more than to be with you, love. We can travel the seas together; we can be happy. I can even make this cabin accommodating for two—"

"No," Scarlett interrupted, trying to push herself out of his grip, but this time, he wouldn't let go. "Don't make this any harder for me than it already is. You are being unrealistic. Do you think I could just leave my family, just because you want me here? If you really want me to be happy, take me back home. It is where I belong."

As they stared into each other's eyes, Scarlett saw his hope fade away. Calmly, he gave in. "I will take you back home." Releasing his grip from her arms, he walked out of the room without another word.

Left alone, Scarlett's emotions finally caught up with her and she burst into tears. She had never been so conflicted in her life. But did she really love him? Or was it just passion from being at sea with a man who professed his love for her? There's no reason for me to cry. I'm finally going home. But the feeling was different than she had imagined. It was no longer a joyous thought. Though her heart was at home, a little piece was also on the ship.

Scarlett dwelled in her thoughts, as she sat alone and cold in the dark cabin. Ten minutes passed before the door was opened again and Scarlett attempted to blink away her tears.

"I figured everything out with my crew," he said. "We can have you home in two days." Seeing her red eyes, he felt wary to approach her and walked to his desk instead.