Blame

Gabriel

It is my fault. I did this.

All you're fault indeed. I TOLD YOU! My wolf roars in my head before he pushes me to the back, taking full control of my body and leaving me trapped without a clue to what is happening.

It is all my fault. Those females are out to hurt me like I hurt them. I never promised them anything, I never said any words to encourage them, but I slept with them. I threw them away after a quick lay. I hurt them.

Now they are going to hurt Serenity because of my mistake. I am a true fool. I don't deserve my little mate. She is so perfect. I wish she had never come into our lives, then she would be safe at least.

But No. I would have just continued to ruin our future if I hadn’t met her. It might have been worse. Could I have stopped? Would I have?

No. I needed someone to fill that emptiness in me. I do wish I had found a different way to feel better about myself. A way that didn't cause her pain.

I drown in the thoughts of her. Her scent. Her touch. Every moment I have spent near her. Every touch between us. There haven’t been as many as I would like, something that will need remedied as soon as she is back.

My wolf is trying to save me the hurt but he is also fueled with rage.

Time passes weirdly with my wolf in charge. I don't know if it has been hours, days, weeks. This has never happened to me before. It wasn’t wholly unknown though, once Christian went away for two months and we had+ to lock his wolf in the dungeons before he killed any more people. He has gotten better control but I worry how he is handling this.

I worry that while I am stuck my brother will lose himself. Christian is strong, tough, almost unbreakable. Almost. Our little mate is the key to breaking him, to breaking me.

Despair hits me like a wet blanket. Then something else, something not me. My consciousness drifting into the thoughts of another.

It is kind of a weightless feeling, floating in the darkness. Numb. Alone. I would have thought it would be cold, that I would be panicked about the loss of control, but none of that happened.

My mind flickers to Serenity and I can feel her worry, her anger, her loneliness. She is in pain. It stabs me like millions of tiny needles in my chest.

Can my brother feel this? Can my wolf? Do they feel that they are hurting her? Or is this because I am so detached?

There is nothing I can do about it from here. I can't even tell them what I do remember about those females or the threats I have received recently. I can't tell if my wolf ever knew these things as we are so disconnected at times.

'Help…please…' The sound is weak but I know the voice anywhere.

'Serenity?  Darling?' It is like the whole dark world lights up suddenly before me.

'Gabriel?'

'Oh darling, I am so sorry I caused this. My past just keeps rearing its ugly head. How are you holding up?'

'Not good. Havent you been watching? These women aren't going to do what they promised you…'

'Promised me? What did they promise me?'

'You don’t...what is going on?'

'My wolf took over..'

'How long ago? Gabriel, how long ago?'

I can feel her panic swell in her chest and I can't help but worry.

'The day you were taken.'

'You weren't  the one who made the deal….That was two weeks ago.… They are supposed to be trading you for me tonight but they have already left leaving me with the psycho bitch….you and I are going to have to discuss your taste at some point, these women are horrid…'

I laugh. She is right, of course, I really never discriminated.

'Psycho?'

'Sienna, I think is her name…not really sure, she doesn't talk much during our…"quality time"…'

'WHAT?!?'

'Most of them left for the meet up, but something else is happening.I hear mens voices…'

'Men? How many?'

She doesn’t respond, instead a burning pain spreads through my being. They silvered her. Shit.

Suddenly the threat Jillian made flashes through my head, "as many rogues as there are notches in your bed post", and everything goes red. If these girls were not going to trade for him then this may very well be when they follow through with that threat. I feel hot, too hot.

Anger. Rage. Clarity.

I have to get out. I have to regain my body, my control. I need to save our mate. What is my wolf doing? How could two weeks have passed?

---------

Christian

Tonight is the night. Tonight is the trade to get Serenity back. Alot of planning has gone into this. I have called in so many favors but most packs had denied me, seeing my downfall as an opportunity to further their own packs. They did not trust me and saw my brothers absence as a sign I had taken over.

I know they see me as a monster, a chaotic element that threatens the security of our kind. Foolish really as Shadow Hunters are the executioners of justice for the north american kingdom. They are trying to bite the wrong hand.

Surprisingly the pack that sent help was the very one reports were claiming had kidnapped a royal. There were even kill orders issued for the Alpha. A pack that I had hesitantly called because I knew they had contacts outside of our kind. Dark Skies had sent me a witch to help as well as two enforcers to ensure the woman's safety.

Their Alpha had troubles of her own but it was a favor I would not forget. Even if I had to back her.

Still,I can't help my nerves. I haven't slept well since Serenity was taken from us, bags are prominently displayed on my bloodshot eyes. This will surely be a test of my composure tonight.

They want Gabriel. Of course that isn't happening. He is currently trying to regain control over his wolf who has done some serious damage to both himself and the few guards who tried to restrain him before the witch arrived. The two enforcers, Deacon and Gale, from Dark Skies had no issues holding him down. It made our guards shameful, it was obvious, outsiders who could easily overpower seasoned royal pack guards. Laughable really.

That left me. I would be adopting my brothers look for the evening. I would be the one they would be taking. I won't risk anything going wrong with this. She has to be safe.

She will be back with us. I won't mess this up. My wolf whimpers, I feel badly for how he is taking this. He seems listless, depressed.

If only I hadn't agreed to take her out shopping. If only we would have taken guards or insisted on going in the dressing room with her. I shake my head, no, that would have ended much differently.

I should have waited to scold Gabriel or not left the store. What was I thinking? How could I have been so stupid?

I smash my hand into the mirror in the small restroom, shattering the glass and causing my knuckles to bleed. I can’t feel it. I can only feel her, her pain resonates within me but I can't reach out to her.

Our link is purposely being blocked, the witch, Leigh, confirmed it when she arrived. These she-wolves had someone helping them and I fear who may be plotting behind the scenes. The few leads we found only told us the person in question was well connected and wealthy but nothing solid. Though I suspect someone in Silvermoon may be involved.

The signs point to it. The signal was even sent via the royal servers. It will be figured out soon enough. I can’t dwell on it now, I have to be Gabriel. Use his mannerisms, wear his clothes. Adopt his scent. It's why I needed a witch.

Leaving the bathroom I head to the cells. I need to see my brother and the witch before I leave for the exchange.