sɪx; ʟᴇɢᴀᴄʏ

legacy 

(noun

something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past 

WITH DEREK Shepherd acting as interim Chief of Surgery in place of Richard Webber, Everett feels even less confident about her ability to keep her job. She spends every day working harder than before, trying not to let the pressure wash her under like a tsunami, but it doesn't help when Shepherd already has such a strong connection to all of his Seattle Gracers. With the Mercy Westers being run off their feet and a Valentine's Day massacre to write in the history books, Everett isn't sure how much longer they're going to last.

But, as Callie hands her over a coffee on this wet Seattle morning, she realises that she wants to fight for this job, she wants to fight for these coffees and Callie's smile and this hospital.

"I still can't believe you wouldn't let us throw you a birthday party!" Callie complains. She's been complaining since the start of February, but Everett had been adamant that there would be no birthday party while her job was still up in the air.

"I never wanted one," Everett shuts her down, slurping down half her coffee to keep the chill of the rain out of her bones. The rain is choppy today, hard and soft all at once, an icy coldness in the air that reminds her too much of home. "Birthday parties are for kids, I'm fine with a drink and some friends. That's been my birthday since I was like twenty-five."

"That's just sad. Birthday parties are–"

"I have an idea!" interrupts Arizona, appearing behind Callie and Everett without any word of warning. Both women jump, hands coming up to clutch at their hearts as they send the small blonde glares over their shoulders. She's plastered on her usual bright grin but the look in her eyes tells them that she's been scheming. "Okay, so you know how Teddy's been pining for Owen?"

"Altman, the heart girl?" Arizona nods at Everett's question. "Wait, she likes Hunt?"

"Are you really that oblivious?" Callie shoots at her friend, eyebrows raising at the confused shrug that Everett replies with. She hasn't really been paying attention to all the other surgeons in the hospital. She doesn't care about their personal lives. She doesn't care about who's sleeping with who, she doesn't care about their marriages or lack thereof, she doesn't care about their gossip. She hears most of it from Callie anyway, even if she forgets it by the end of their surgery. "Wait, you do know that Alex and Lexie are sleeping together right?"