ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ; ғʀᴀᴄᴛ

fract 

(verb

to break; to violate; to crack  

THE BATHROOM stinks of dollar store aftershave and peppermint shower gel by the time Everett gets there after everybody else. With a half-finished cup of coffee in one hand, she reaches out for the orange toothbrush sitting in the glass placed on top of the sink, just beneath the mirror. It's surrounded by four other toothbrushes; pink, green, blue and red. There are two tubes of toothpaste sitting between the toothbrushes and Everett has to put down her coffee on the counter beside her, separating her from the toilet, so she can pick up the emptier tube that she's been sharing with April and Lexie. She's halfway through brushing her teeth when Karev walks in, snatching up her coffee before she has time to argue with him.

She purposely avoids looking at his shirtless body in the mirror, glaring instead at the cold tap she has one hand wrapped around. He's almost finished her coffee by the time she spits out her toothpaste, waiting for his chance to shave off the dark patches of his stubble further down his neck that he doesn't seem to like very much. She spins around so she can glare at him, leaning back against the sink to block off his access. He glares back at her when he realises what she's doing.

"C'mon, Ramos, let me in."

"You drank my coffee."

"Well, it was shit anyway. Lemme in." She hits him with a blank look, her fingers curled around the edge of the basin to keep her standing there. He stares back at her, anger flashing in his eyes, muscles tensing under his skin as he crosses his arms over his chest. It's a sign of him trying not to let his hot temper get the better of him, a way to keep it all inside, but Everett chooses not to think about that as her eyes drop to the rolling of his arm muscles. His biceps tense hard as his arms cross together, just underneath the muscles on his chest that grow bigger as he makes himself look taller. He's trying to overwhelm her.

She will not let his good looks get the better of her.

"You drank my coffee and then you complained about it. You're definitely not getting in now." He sighs, jaw clenching. She's really trying not to smile now. Sure, they might be friends and they might share food when they need to, but pushing his buttons is just so easy in the mornings when Jackson's nightmares have kept him up and they've only got half an hour before they need to be at work. His chest is heaving with his attempts not to rise to the bait and Everett can't stop herself from staring.

There's a pink scar a few inches below his collarbone. Her eyes get caught on it.

"Is that where they took the bullet out?" she asks, motioning to the scar. It's pink against his sun-kissed skin, but there are fragments of white around the edges that makes it stand out more than it should.