ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ғɪᴠᴇ; ᴏᴜᴛʟᴀɴᴅɪsʜ

outlandish 

( adjective

looking or sounding bizarre or unfamiliar 

WHEN MEREDITH Grey-Webber wakes up the next morning, her mother is shouting for her.

The early winter sun is shining grey light through the drawn curtains, washing over her tousled body in an attempt to coax her out of bed and into the life she knows all too well. Her mother is still shouting when she pulls on her favourite pink cardigan, her strong coffee filling the house with the distinct scent of sugary caffeine and her voice a welcome addition to the sunshine-filled hallways.

"Good morning, Mom." Ellis Grey-Webber's reddish-blonde hair has been twisted into a simple chignon on the back of her head, her light wrinkles set into the planes of her face. When she sees her daughter, her face brightens with a smile.

"Morning. Are you riding with me or with your father?" She tightens the lid on her thermos cup. She's still smiling. "Because if you're riding with me, we have to leave now."

"Don't wait. I'll go with Dad."

"Who's coming with me?" Richard Webber strides into the room like he owns it. And after marrying Ellis Grey-Webber, he basically does. This house has been their family home since Meredith was a young girl. It's not unusual for her to see her parents share a kiss after a warning from her mother, nor is it that strange to watch her mother walk out the door knowing she'll be seeing her soon enough again in the hospital she's spearheaded for years now.

It feels good to walk into Seattle Grace Hospital knowing that this is her legacy.

It feels even better walking into the residents locker room with a sparkling engagement ring on her left finger and her redheaded best friend squealing her lungs off about it. Much to the vexation of prickly Peds princess Everett Ramos who, along with her boyfriend, watch Meredith Grey-Webber try to convince April Kepner to date Charles Percy, despite the fact that it's clear April has always had other plans.

"Do they have to act like that?" Everett asks, fixing her glasses on the end of her nose. Jackson Avery, the grandson of the Harper Avery and Everett's long-term boyfriend, snorts as he attaches his hospital pass to his doctor's coat.

They are, in most terms, the perfect couple. The media especially love the look of them together, always showing up arm-in-arm in the perfect formal wear to every swanky Harper Avery event that is set up in the man's honour despite the fact he hardly ever shows up himself. But, the media hardly cares about Harper Avery when his good-looking grandson and his even better looking girlfriend walk the red carpet in outfits that would make even the poorest couple look like millionaires.