ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ sᴇᴠᴇɴ; ᴀɢɴᴏsᴛʜᴇsɪᴀ

agnosthesia 

( noun

the state of not knowing how you really feel about something 

EVERETT'S SUITCASE feels too heavy as she carries it up five flights of stairs.

Spending the day in California has almost completely ruined her appreciation of rain that soaks her to the bone in mere seconds, ruining her already damp mood as she forces her suitcase with the broken wheel through the squeaky door. She slams the door shut behind her, not caring if it accidentally wakes up the rest of the people in her apartment, not when there's water pooling in the soles of her loafers and raindrops sticking her curls to her face.

There's a light on in the kitchen.

Everett shouldn't be so surprised since she shares this apartment with three other surgeons who have given up sleep to study, but they've all been spending so much time at Meredith's house that they'd almost all forgotten about their new home.

If they're not at the hospital, they're at Meredith's. If they're not at Meredith's, they're in the middle of an interview halfway across the country.

Nobody ever comes home anymore.

All she can smell is freshly baked cookies.

"You're back!" April throws her tea towel over her shoulder when she finally notices Everett. There's a fresh batch of cookies in the oven. The rain-soaked surgeon checks the time on her watch. It's definitely after midnight.

"Just. What are you doing?" She shrugs off her jacket and throws it over the back of the closest armchair, joining April in the kitchen to see what's keeping her up so late at night. There's a smattering of flour covering the freckles on her nose.

She almost looks like a child like this; red hair twisted into two braids, frilly pink apron covering her bunny pyjamas, fluffy slippers keeping her feet from getting too cold on the linoleum floor beneath them.

Everett is dripping rainwater everywhere.

"I'm baking. See!" April motions to the oven with her hand. Even her oven gloves are pink. Reed would have hated it, it almost makes her smile to remember the other woman's abhorrence for April's girliness.

"It's late, Apes. Why?" 

The redhead shrugs as she starts to tidy up all the tools she used to create simple chocolate chip cookies that will get eaten up in seconds once she takes them to the hospital tomorrow. Her hands move deftly and she hums quietly to herself. That's all Everett needs to know that this wasn't just about craving cookies.