sᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ; sᴀᴜᴅᴀᴅᴇ

saudade 

( noun

a nostalgic longing to be near again to something or someone who is distant 

ONE STEP forward, two steps back. At this point in Everett's life, that's exactly what every day feels like. She's pouring a freshly made coffee into a lilac thermos, head replaying the one scene that forced her awake until the early hours of the morning, unable to forget the way Karev seemed to kiss Dr Fields so eagerly, so readily. Her eyes focus on the swirl of the sugary liquid in her favourite thermos, suddenly brought back to the first time Karev pushed a wonky mug over the dining table filled with her favourite hot drink, sugared to perfection to keep her taste buds from shutting out the bitterness. It was the first time they'd ever really seen eye-to-eye.

She sighs, lifting the coffee up to her lips. It doesn't taste as good as Karev's, but what choice does she have now that he's living in an ugly trailer in front of the hospital. She hardly sees him anymore. Is that a good thing? Her eyes flicker up to the open window directly in front of her, the lace curtains swaying softly in the light Spring breeze.

In the garden, a sparrow whistles a tune in the apple tree that casts shade over the fence.

Everett, for the first time in just over a year, is alone.

This time last year, if she had been left alone she would have burrowed under the duvet and surrounded herself in darkness, wallowing in the fear of losing a friend. If she had been stuck in that shitty apartment, with the mould growing in the cabinets and the cat scratches on all the furniture, she would have drifted away into nothingness, leaving behind only traces of dead skin and strands of hair.

She lets out a breath.

She smiles.

Maybe being alone isn't so bad after all.

On the counter, her phone starts to ring. It's just another of those built in sounds that come with the model of phone, but it still grates her nerves every time it tolls through her ears forcing her to slam down her coffee and reach over for it without a second thought.

"Hello?"

"Everett?" It's Shepherd. She doesn't think Shepherd has ever phoned her before. It's enough to send goosebumps running over her arms. "Hi. You need to get to the hospital now. It's Callie and Arizona."

Callie and Arizona.

Images of them getting into some sort of horrible accident swim through her head as her car races through the always busy roads of Seattle. She had wished them well on their weekend trip away just the night before, hoping that their relationship would take a turn for the better after the more-than-awkward baby shower that had taken place in one of the top-floor lounges. They'd laughed together, excited to spend time together without any interference. Now, all Everett can imagine is their bloodied bodies.