sɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ; ɴᴜᴍɪɴᴏᴜs

numinous 

(adjective

being both fearful and awed by what is before you 

EVERETT RAMOS had been warned never to use the 'Q' word in the E.R.

Callie had been quick to set out simple rules when she had handed over her clipboard for the orthopedics division of the E.R, trusting her resident enough to take care of the emergency room for the night while she went home for some well-needed rest, just another step towards Chief Resident to propel Everett into the surgical hierarchy. One of the rules was to never say the word 'quiet' in the emergency room, or else you'd be swamped with patients who never would have found their way there in the first place. Everett, despite her deep religious beliefs, had never really believed in superstitious fate, but even she knows to keep her mouth shut when she walks into the E.R just after five o'clock that night to see that it is almost empty.

Up ahead, tying gauze around the head of a child while their mother watches on warily, is Meredith Grey, the resident in charge of the E.R tonight to show her Chief Resident worth after their fuck up with their medical school students only the week before. All of the fourth-year residents have decided to take on more responsibility recently, and that means spending almost all of their time in the E.R waiting to show off their skills in their chosen speciality, begging to be chosen as the Chief Resident in their final year of residency.

The person chosen for Chief Resident will have Fellowships thrown at them.

Everett Ramos will not let her chance to be God slip away.

"Good day to be in the E.R, huh?" Jackson's voice is a deep vibrato behind her and she turns her head to see him with his hands stuffed into the pockets of his doctor's coat, leaning lazily against the nurse's desk. She follows his gaze around the sterile room, unable to get the scent of iron out of her nose after a bloody surgery that resulted in the loss of a limb for a thirty-year-old woman. She supposes getting time to relax after that is pretty good, after all.

"This will be my first time in charge, tonight," Everett admits to her friend, dropping her clipboard onto the desk. Frankie, the nurse sitting behind the desk holds out a packet of M&M's that Everett doesn't hesitate to take a handful of,  just as Jackson had done only moments beforehand.

"Are you nervous?" Jackson chuckles as he speaks, looking the epitome of relaxed as he uses the desk as his own lounging tool. Everett has half a mind to smack him over the head and send him to work, just like what used to happen back in Mercy West if anyone was caught slacking, but she can't bring herself to do so. Not when this is most relaxed Jackson's looked since they lost Charles and Reed.