Kabanata 22

Enemy or Rival

Hindi na ako binalikan pa ni Sandro tulad ng mga nakakaraang linggo. He became cold actually. He used to have a shiny aura that people enjoyed bathing in. Now, people looked at him with terror.

He changed. A lot.

And it was because of me.

I pursed my lips. Don't cross the line, Cybele. It's better that way.

Nasa kalagitnaan ako ng klase when the guidance counselor called for me. Bumilis ang tibok ng puso ko. Anong ginawa ko?! Nakakatakot talaga kapag pinapatawag ng guidance!

Nonetheless, I followed with a trembling heart.

Layla and Tiara looked happy for me. Well, they really hate me for not congratulating Louella. That was what? Almost a year ago?

Malapit lang ang Guidance office kaya hindi na ako nakapag-isip pa ng possibleng kasalanan ko.

Ms. De Leon showed me the seat where I can sit. I followed her. I looked around the office, thinking of possible things I've done for the bad. Pero sa dami ng inisip ko, parang wala naman. Well, except for one but I don't think he would stoop that low to tell our issue to anyone.

"Hello, Cybele. Kamusta ka na?" Her sweet smile is creeping me out.

"Okay naman po." Tugon ko.

"Wala namang problema sa acads? Sa kaklase?"

Umiling lang ako.

She starred at me for seconds until she heave a deep sigh.

"Alam mo ba kung bakit kita pinatawag dito?" I fumbled my thumbs to ease my nervousness.

"Hindi po..." mahina kong sabi.

"Sophia has been absent for almost a month now. Have you noticed?"

Umawang ang labi ko sa realisasyon.

"Uh, sabi po ni Tita na ospital daw po siya. Dadalawin po sana namin ni Kendra pero ayaw po ni Tita."

I don't know what to think right now. Bakit naman niya natanong?

"Do you have a clue, why?"

I looked up and thought of the possibility why she is absent aside from being hospitalized. Hindi naman kasi sinabi ni Tita kung anong sakit ni Pia.

"M-may cancer po ba siya?" I can't help but worry for my friend if ever that she indeed has cancer.

Umiling si Ms. De Leon. I was relieved that it wasn't cancer.

"She's pregnant, Ms. Seranilla." All the colors in my face paled.

I just looked at her with a shock expression.

"And you know the consequences if ever that a student gets pregnant."

I still cannot comprehend what I am hearing.

"I-is it true?"

She sadly nodded her head. "It's such a shame that she is a bright student and yet she engaged on sexual intercourse at a young age. The directress has already talked with her mother with regards to her dropout. We don't want students to see her as a bad person. Alam mo namang lait lang ang maririnig niya kung magpapatuloy siya ng pag-aaral dito. And we don't want students to be influenced by her actions."

Nalungkot ako sa naging kalagayan ng kaibigan. Pia... she's really innocent. And there's only one person who did this to her.

"We already know who is the father of the child and our school and Emery High are now talking about it."