(4) I don't share what's mine.

Artemisia's POV

I get dropped off near the main pack house and quickly grab my bag to load into my trunk. Once I'm out of the area, I start to relax. 30 minutes later, I'm standing in front of the pottery place. I slowly walk inside and see it's empty. Wouldn't it be funny if he stood you up?

I hear movement coming from the back, and Kai emerges with flowers in his hand. I attack him into a hug, and he automatically pulls me closer.

"I missed you too." He says, resting his chin on my head.

I inhale his scent, and he softly asks, "Why were you sad earlier?"

Confused, I look up and say, "I didn't tell you that."

"Our mate bond connects our emotions now." He states.

"I never feel your emotions," I say.

"That's because I don't have a heart." He sarcastically says. I laugh, and he cups my cheek. "This morning, when I called, didn't you feel happy?" He asks with a teasing smile.

"Maybe... How would I feel the difference between my emotions and yours?" I ask curiously.

"I felt the difference today. When you called after your brunch, you were sad. I felt that emotion, but nothing at the moment was sad for me. Before that call, I felt angry, but I was doing paperwork, so I thought that was you." He explains.

"So I can't hide my emotions from you?" I ask.

He shakes his head and says, "I can't hide mine from you either."

"That's such a bad idea. I get frustrated a lot." I say.

He hands me the bouquet, and I smile. "They're beautiful, thank you!" I say, smelling the flowers.

"I coordinated them to go with your outfit." He says jokingly.

"You like? My half-sister said it was too slutty for a brunch and perfect for clubbing." I say, giving him a twirl.

He chuckles and says, "I don't think this is the best option for clubbing." He cups my ass to bring me closer and says, "But I think you look magnificent in anything you wear. Wearing nothing also works."

I feel the heat rise in my cheeks, and he leads me to the back room. "What do you do for a living?" He asks.

"I'm an architect, so I help design buildings. Usually just hotels or work offices, but it's sometimes fun." I say with a shrug.

"Are you happy there?" He asks.

"I guess... I went to college and got the job I wanted. So I should be happy I have everything I was working for." I answer.

"So there's nothing else you want in life?" He asks.

I feel disappointed, but I know it's not coming from me. I look at him and say, "Well, relationship-wise... I think I'd be interested in finding someone. They'd have to meet my standards, though."

"You have a long list of them?" He asks.

"Don't worry. You've already marked off ugly and funny." I tease.

"Wow. I guess I'll take one for the team. We can't both be good-looking in this relationship." He says, not so subtly checking me out.

I admire his build and ask, "Who says I'd want to date you?"

"I'm here to ensure I check off your whole list." He says, winking. He leans down to my ear, and I get distracted by his smell. "You're mine." He whispers.

I turn to face him, our noses almost touching. "You'll have to work for my love. But I own you now." I say, giving him a quick peck on the lips.

I'm about to move away when he pins me against the wall with his legs between my thighs. Then I accidentally moan when he wraps his hand around my neck. I'm not supposed to act like this. I barely know the man. He's our mate. Obviously, he'll affect you.