Forlorn Expressions

Declan's POV

Stunned. I think that's the only word to describe myself right now. I'm sitting here just sitting at my desk, staring at the door she walked out of.

No woman has ever spoken to me that way before. I can't tell if it infuriates me or arouses me, but I believe it is a little of both.

I just seem to have just royally fucked that up, our first and apparently last formal meeting. I don't really see what the problem was. I'm a business man first and foremost. My duty is to my mafia. I protect their reputation as well as my own.

I know that the man was sleazy and despicable, but sometimes in life you have to do things you don't want to and this is unfortunately one of those instances. I would have no greater pleasure than to watch the life drain out of him, but as of today that isn't an option.

That man that assaulted her just so happened to be the New York police commission. Real upstanding guy, I know. To make it worse he even has a wife and two kids while also throwing a mistress in there.

But no matter how awful a person that man is, he is the man I need to please in order to allow my more shady side of business to continue uninterrupted. He sweeps things under the rug and out of the public's knowledge.

I understand why she is upset, but quitting seems a little irrational if you ask me. Not that I really care. It's probably for the best anyways, I could tell she would cause me quite the distraction while I am trying to work.

I mean I could think about her long tan legs all all day, oh or her soft silky hair that I would just love to run my fingers through. Wait, what the fuck? Pull yourself together man.

Just as I am about to get back to business my office door is being pounded on at a brain rattling pace. I just take a big sigh, knowing what is coming next.

"What." I exclaim rather loudly as the door slams open, hitting the wall with a bang.

"Che cazzo hai fatto?" Isabel marches right over to my desk as she places her palms down and leans forward, doing her best to intimidate me.

My face remains blank as I stare at her, waiting for her inner beast to calm down.

"Don't just stare at me stupido. What did you do to Riley? I told you to stay away from her. Why can't you just listen to me for once?" Isabel huffs out while rubbing her temples exaggeratedly.

"I didn't do anything to her sorella." (Sister) I try to explain.

"That's bull and you know it." She exclaims while sitting down with a thud.

"William Wright was here." Isabel's face turns immediately sour. "He smacked her ass and then she punched him."

Isabel shoots up from her seat with a wide smile. "Dannazione, è una feroce stronza. Ha avuto la sua." She claps her hands and jumps up and down. "Ho aspettato che qualcuno lo facesse." (Damn, she's a fierce bitch. He had it coming. I have been waiting for someone to do that.)

"I agree, but Riley could have cost us big time. You know how important he is." I say trying to reason.

"Oh screw the mafia Declan. That girl is important to me, I care more about her than that stupid fuck. Go fix it right now." She screams at me while leaning over the desk once more.

"I don't care if she is your friend Isabel. The mafia is my family, you will show it some respect." I boom while standing from my chair, hitting it too hard, sending it against the glass.

I see the slight falter in my sister's steps as she flinches from my anger, but unlike normal she continues to stand tall and look me in the eye.

Standing up taller, she gets in my face. "You know that I know that, the mafia is a part of my family just as much as yours, but this is important to me. She is my friend and I won't let you treat her like that, she deserves better."