Chapter Three

I was walking down the same road Titan had picked Samara and I up on. It was wintertime but I felt warm walking along the road in a tank top and a pair of shorts. The wind was howling, blowing a cold breeze across my face. Snowflakes began falling as I continued to walk along the frozen road. Did it even snow in Texas?

 Darkness crawled around me making me panic. The sun was slowly sinking behind the trees. I wasn't afraid but I began to walk faster. I wanted to get to my destination before it was too late. In my heart I felt something bad was going to happen. I heard a wounded growl and even though I can tell it's far away. I hear it like it was happening right beside me.

I launched into a run.

It started. I don't know exactly what “it” was but it started. I know if I don't hurry I'll be too late to stop them. Again, I had no clue who "them" is but I had to stop them. I jump over the fence that followed along the road. I've never felt so helpless in my life. My hair whipped around my face in wild black curls as I ran. It's long, almost reaching my waist. Which is weird because I would never let it grow out that long. It would be too much of a hassle to take care of.

I was running so fast that everything around me was a blur. It's strange. I'm sure no one can run this fast. I barely notice the trees as I fly past them straining my ears to hear something, anything that can give me some kind of idea where I am going. I'm not sure if I going the right way. I listen carefully making sure I don't miss anything. Then I hear it again, a low growl, but I soon realize it's coming from me.

My heart sinks when I come to clearing in between the trees. I skid to a halt when I see three people with torches in their hands, circling another person on his knees. He appears to be badly beaten. An older man comes forward holding a sword of some kind. He lifts the weapon high above his head.

Tears fall down my face. I run forward but I know I'll never make it in time.

"Dad!" I scream, closing my eyes.

I sat up in bed, gasping. I touched my cheeks with the back of my hand. They were wet. I laid back in the bed and rubbed my hands over my eyes. That was the second time I had that dream but last time I hadn't been able to tell who anyone was. I was surprise to have dreamt that that man in the circle was my father since I had no clue what my father looked like. My mother didn't have a picture of him. She had nothing that belonged to him. It was like he never existed. I didn't resemble my mother much so I guessed that I looked like my father.

I glanced at the bright green numbers on the digital clock beside the bed. According to the clock I'd only had slept for two hours. I sighed turning to my side. It was going to be a long night if I continue to wake up like this.

I closed my eyes and smiled, thinking about what had happen earlier. Cristinah had made us watch another movie after Hairspray. We were half way through the second movie when we realized she had fallen asleep. I didn't even know what the second movie was about. I hadn't even been able to pay attention to Hairspray either. I was too busy watching Titan from the corner of my eyes. It seemed like every time I reached for popcorn his hand was there too. I apologized the first fifty times but I stopped as soon as I realized he was doing it on purpose.

He gave me a lop-sided grin when he saw that I had finally figured it out. After that he would lean in about every two minutes asking me what was happening. I doubt Hairspray was too complicated for him to follow but still I explained each time. Thank goodness I knew the movie inside and out or he would have figured out that I hadn't been paying the slightest attention to it. I liked talking to him. It was easy to feel comfortable around him. Samara kicked me twice. I guess to remind me that I was flirting with our kidnapper again. I turned to glare at her each time but she would just glared back.