Chapter Twelve

As I made my way back to the Camp, I had an eerie feeling that someone was watching me. It wasn't the first time I felt this way. My heart started beating five times its normal speed. I would ruin any chances of being the next queen if I was caught out here by someone. What if it was Koretta?

I started walking faster hoping it was just my imagination. Maybe if someone was watching me. They wouldn't know what I was doing. Whoever it was could have just gotten here and I was still in the clear.

"Jayla."

I stopped and slowly turned to face the queen. "Queen Tailah." I bowed, slightly. "What are you doing out here?" I looked around. Surely a guard had to be out here with her as well. But I didn't see or smell anyone else. "And why are you alone?"

She smiled. “I slipped out.” She said looking mighty proud of herself. “It's safe. Don't you agree?”

I shrugged. "Maybe. I would have agreed with you a couple of days ago but with everything that has happen recently. I'm not so sure anymore."

“Are you saying you don't trust that Vrykolakas I saw you kissing a couple of minutes ago?” She grinned. “Why do you look so shocked? I've known about your secret rendezvous for a while now. I've been watching you.”

I was at a loss for words. She knew? She'd been watching me?

She sniffed me. "Jayla, were you planning on walking into camp smelling like that?"

I sniffed myself. Titan's scent clung onto me. How could I have forgotten to jump into the river? If Queen Tailah hadn't stopped me, I would have walked into camp smelling like Titan and everyone would have known what I was doing.

"We better get you cleaned up before we go back."

"I don't understand." I began. "Why are you helping me? Aren't you going to tell the others that I was with a Vrykolakas?"

Queen Tailah frowned. "Why would I do that?"

Was that a trick question?

"Because I'm a traitor." I answered, confused.

She smiled then. "Are you really?"

I nodded, still confused.

She sighed. "Jayla, the next time someone asks you that. I must advise you to say no."

"Why?"

She sighed again, rolling her eyes. "Because you are not a traitor."

"I'm not?"

She chuckled. "No. You haven't done anything that is truly wrong." She grabbed my hand and started pulling in the direction of the river.

"But I'm… I was dating a Vrykolakas." I reminded her.

"I realized that when I heard your conversation. I do apologize for ease dropping. I wanted to make sure everything was alright." She continued to pull me. "Jayla, dear, I wanted to tell you about a suspicion I have."

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's about what just happened. I think it was a set up."

"A set up?" I asked stopping. "What do you mean?"

"Let's just say I'm not blind and know how vindictive Koretta can be." She pulled me again and we continued to walk towards the river. "I just find it so strange that Koretta would be in the forest."

"I don't find it so strange. I mean the first time I met Koretta she was in forest with her friends. Maybe they hang out there once in a while."

"Jayla, you are still pretty new here so you don't know that no one in the pack hangs out in southern part of the forest. When we go into the forest it's always the eastern part. We have more land that way anyway. I found it very strange when I heard that Koretta had attacked you in the southern part of the forest and I find it even more strange that she herself was attacked there too."