Chapter Thirteen

Mother Nature seemed to always know my mood. The sky was always dark, covered with gray clouds. Usually I like that kind of weather but this day it bothered me. Something didn't feel right about it. The air was heavy making it hard to breathe. The wind wasn't blowing, so everything was still. Too still.

Without knowing why. My heart got that feeling you get when you know something bad is going to happen. Sadness washed over me before I even saw Tamanna running towards me. Wet trail marks covered her cheeks. She just stared at me, new tears falling.

"What's going on?" I asked, placing my hands on her shoulders.

She didn't say anything. She just continued to cry. I wanted to shake her until she answered me but I knew that wouldn't help. So I just repeated the question. "What's going on? Why are you crying?"

"Queen Tailah…" She sobbed. "Queen Tailah…she's gone."

"What do you mean gone? Like missing?" I asked, wondering how she manage to escape her guards again.

She shook her head violently and my heart sunk when I got her meaning.

All I could remember was running until I was in front of Queen Tailah's bedroom. I stood frozen in front of the door for a couple minutes. I was too afraid to walk in. I didn’t know if I could handle this.

When I finally walked into the room. I could see all the guards were in a circle around Queen Tailah. She was laid on her back, her hands folded on her abdomen. She looked like she was sleeping. But I knew better. The guards all turned towards me. They slightly bowed their heads, then one by one slowly slipped from the room. Aliesha was the last to go. She gave me a quick hug before leaving. I could see the unshed tears in her eyes.

I walked over to the bed. This couldn't be right. She had been fine yesterday. Just last night we had talked about how impressed she was with me. She had told me she was positive I was ready to be queen. I had smiled a little and told her there was no way I would be able to handle it without having her there for guidance. She laughed and told me she would be there for as long as I needed her. Then she had gotten serious all of the sudden. She was worried about me. She noticed that I hadn’t been eating right. She’s complained very much like any other grandmother would do, threatening to do things to me that I knew she would never do.

No. This was a lie.

A horrible dream that I would soon wake up from. Queen Tailah wasn’t really gone. Nope. I refused to believe it. I needed her. Not only to train me to become a queen just amazing as she was but because I needed her around to talk to. To me she really was like the grandmother that I never had.

Her hugs were the best in the world. Last night she has given me one after threatening me. She wanted to know what she could do to make me happy. She didn’t like seeing me wasting away in front of her. She had said, hugging me tightly.

I had hugged her back, close to breaking down in front of someone for the first time since everything had gone down but in the end. I had lied to her, telling her I was fine. Happy even.

She had angrily sighed at me, yanking a lose strand of my hair. It hadn’t hurt but I had dramatically said, “Ouch” while she pulled away from the hug.

“Do not lie to me, Jayla. I am still the queen and I’ll have your head for that.” She had said, softly stroking my head. “I would do anything for your happiness. I love you as much as I love Elias.”

She had taken my hand in hers after that. Her kindness was getting close to breaking me. I wanted to tell her how I felt but how could I complain to her about not being able to see Titan or Samara without seeming selfish.