Murphy's Law

Tenn glanced around the pristine walls and halls of Membrane labs. The hyooman science drones didn't spare her a second glance, instead focusing solely on their datapads and tablets. "Are you sure this is going to work?"

"Chill out, would you?" Gaz said. "They're not going to vivisect you. It's just a standard pregnancy test."

"What are the chances that it's a false alarm?"

"Considering that it began after you and the Tallest had sex, very slim."

Tenn groaned internally. She'd be praying to any deity that it was a false alarm if she believed in any, to begin with.

Gaz led her into one of the consulting rooms just as a Narg'hok with a bandaged head stepped out, murmuring something under his breath. Inside was a tall female hyooman in a white lab coat who was typing something on a computer until she noticed their presence.

"Miss Membrane, how nice to see you!" She greeted, then looked at Tenn. "Oh. I see you brought a friend."

"Ultrasound for the Irken. Now." Gaz said curtly.

"A what?" Tenn asked. Where had she heard the term before?  Probably from Lena.

"It consists of a medical test that uses high-frequency sound waves to capture live images from inside the body. It'll tell us if something is growing in your..." The scientist paused momentarily. She probably didn't know how to refer to Irken reproductive organs.

"Spooch-sac," Tenn said quickly, her patience wearing thin.

"Right. If there's something inside your Spooch-sac, the ultrasound will find it."

Tenn sighed irritated. While Saturn's planetary culture was hyooman-dominated, there were many other intergalactic cultures taking root. Sometimes close allies, but mostly old rivals and enemies, causing constant friction in-between species. Hyoomans, in particular, were perhaps the most racist ones. They believed that since Earth and Saturn are in their solar system, they should have privileges.

What all cultures had in common, though, was that none of them valued height like Irkens. Height is seen as a mere physical trait that has no value nor usefulness unless you play a sport called basketball. This made it harder for Tenn to adapt, as she could no longer use her height to get better treatment, nor did people respect her because she was tall. This, of course, irked her to no end. Especially when shorter people often got served before her at a café. Or a random fellow who was a few inches shorter than she could talk back at her without any retribution.

As if that wasn't bad enough she had been feeling ill for these part days. Even worse, she recognized the symptoms: cravings, fainting spells, nausea. She didn't want to believe it. But since her apartment didn't have an AI to run her a test, she had no choice but to look for other means to confirm her theory.

Going to a doctor was far too risky, as he'd probably make a patient file for her, which could somehow end up in her husband's hands and give him a clue as to where to find her. She might sound paranoid, but she wouldn't take any chances.

Running out of ideas, Tenn had no choice but to call Gaz-hyooman a few hours earlier. She might be scary and all that, but she knew how everything worked in this place.

"Did you have sex with your husband?" Tenn felt a shiver down her spine.

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Then it's highly likely he put you a bun in the oven."

"What does bread have to do with this?"