Parenthood Pt.I

The loud, shriek-like wail awoke Tenn abruptly. Her first reaction was to cover her head with her pillow in a feeble attempt to minimize the sound. The Invader checked the hour; 2:15 A.M. Sweet Irk, it hasn't been even half an hour and the smeet was crying again?

Purple shifted next to her, groaning tiredly. "Teeenn, the smeet's crying..."

"Your turn," The Invader said quickly, hiding back under the duvet and closing her eyes shut, pretending to be asleep.

Purple sighed. He could have protested, but oddly he didn't really mind. He just loved to have any excuse to hold his baby. Purple got up and went to peek at the cradle; Mor was kicking his little legs, his little tongue sticking out as he looked for the pacifier that had slipped out of his mouth. Purple tried to put it back, but Mor would spit it back out.

"There, there. Shhh, don't cry, smeetie-pooh," Purple purred gently, cradling Mor in his arms and bouncing him gently. "Why's my little smeet crying?"

"You know he can't talk, don't you?"

"I thought you were asleep, Tenn."

"I was until your son started crying."

"Hey, he's your son too!"

"Not until 7."

Purple chuckled. "Whatever you say, my dear."

The Tallest silently walked out of the room, bouncing Mor in his arms and making crooning noises. The lounge's lights lit up dimly as he walked out of his bedroom. Purple noticed Stalker curled up just outside Red's chambers; the indokuro opened an eye warily before going back to sleep.

Purple opened the fridge with his PAK-limbs, took the bottle of smeeting formula Lena had helped him prepare beforehand, and touched Mor's tips with the teat, prompting the smeet to latch on. Purple hummed a particular tune he was fond of as he bottle-fed his son; Mor purred happily until the bottle was empty. Afterward, Purple patted Mor's back with his fingers until the smeet let out a small burp. He continued to stare down at Mor as he went back to his nap, suckling on his thumb adorably. Purple would gently rock him soothingly if he shifted or seemed like he'd wake up, whispering sweet words to him.

He still couldn't believe it. Here he was, finally holding a smeet of his own. He had the feeling that Mor would be so much like him! Purple could already imagine himself taking his son to blow planets up or eat donuts, teaching him all he knew about combat and training with him to help him reach his full potential. But for now, he was content with holding his little Mor close.

One of the doors whizzed open. "Oh, Uncle Pur, I didn't know you were here." 

Purple looked back at his niece, smiling a bit. She was wearing a pink sleeping gown similar to Lena's.

"Don't mind me, just giving Mor a midnight snack."

"I kind of heard it from my room; I'm not complaining, it's just that from all that time on Sobr I had gotten used to the quiet."

"I can actually imagine it..."

Ilk grabbed a big slice of mirror cake and went to the couch to eat. Purple decided to join her for a little while; after all, they hadn't had any quality time together for a long time, and now was a perfect chance. Not to mention that Ilk looked like she needed someone to talk to.

"I heard the rest of your presentation went off without a hitch." Purple sat down next to Ilk, chuckling. "You even sent Larb to the med bay."

"It's the one thing I'm not sorry about, he's a jerk." Ilk took a bite from her cake.