Varian's Departure

This is the story of how I unlocked the secrets of Lord Demanitus' knowledge, and became the best teacher of alchemy in all the Seven Kingdoms.
Ok, so maybe not the best teacher, but one of two.
With help from my companions, I traversed the seven kingdoms to earn totems from each of the seven trials. It wasn't an easy task, believe me. I won't spoil too much, otherwise you won't bother staying for the tale.
Which leads us nicely into where our story begins; The Kingdom of Corona. Corona is a wonderful little island of towns and villages that surround a central castle.
Two years had passed since Princess Rapunzel, and company, united the moonstone and sun drop and defeated the evil warlock Zhan Tiri; things were perfect. Too perfect.
Now we focus in on Old Corona. A small village in Corona, known for their harvest which provides for the kingdom. Old Corona is also the home of the 'most trusted' Royal Engineer. I guess in a way, that's who this story is really about.

A young man with blue eyes and freckles across his cheeks sat at a rickety wooden desk, one gloved hand in his black hair which had a notable single teal streak. He flicked a pencil across the desk and watched it roll back against his finger. Before him were scattered sheets of paper, some with messy writing or scrawls of formulas. A few had colourful stains upon them.
"Varian!" A voice called from another room.
The dark-haired boy looked up from the desk to see a tall brunette man with kind eyes,
"Varian. Your invention has been overseen by the Captain of the Guard. He's astounded by your work." Quirin smiled with pride at his son.
Varian smiled, perking up at the news, "It's a relief that I finally stabilised the Flynnolium compound."
Quirin raised an eyebrow.
"Well, stabilised might be overselling it but at least the boilers won't explode now." Varian added.
"And I am so proud of you, son." Quirin walked over to the boy and placed a hand on his shoulder. Varian smiled widely,
"Thanks, dad."
"You've done so much for Corona...and I've seen the way you sit at that desk everyday and look out that window."
Varian looked to the window as his father did.
"Varian." Quirin called the boy's attention back, "I think it's time I showed you something."

Quirin moved towards his room and Varian, full of curiosity, followed,
"What is it?" He asked.
"Something I've been waiting to pass on to you for years now...I finally believe you're ready." Quirin opened a drawer and took the stack of papers from it, Varian watching intently. He put the papers aside and pulled the bottom of the drawer out. Varian stared, moving in to take a closer look. Quirin took a book into his hands. It was a green book with a symbol that almost seemed to be glowing.
"This...was your mother's journal."
"Mother's journal?" Varian's eyes widened.
Quirin nodded,
"Her partner returned it to me after...well...it's time I handed it over to you. She would have wanted you to have it. I see so much of her in you. As the days go by, I see you overcome every challenge that comes your way. I see the way you learn from those experiences...I've also noticed those challenges are coming less often each day. You're someone who loves to learn, just like your mother was. I'm afraid you may have learnt all you can here. I've read through the journal on many occasions...I can't seem to make sense of it. I'm sure you will find something useful within it." Quirin handed over the journal to Varian, who held it tightly for a moment.
"You've never really talked about mum before."
"I wasn't sure if you were ready to talk about her, I assumed you would come to me when the time was right."
Varian gave a soft chuckle,
"I didn't bring it up in case you didn't wanna talk about it." He opened the cover of the book and smoothed his hand over the page which read 'Property of Ulla'.
"Well, any questions you have, I'll happily answer. You're old enough now to ask whatever you would like to about your mother." Quirin smiled.
"What happened to her?" Varian asked nervously after a short silence.
"That's a question I've had for many years now...when your mother's research partner Donella returned that book to me, she told me your mother was 'gone'. She wouldn't explain anything further. All I know is she had left to search for something; some place. Finding it was her life's work. She and Donella had a break through and believed they could find it. Of course...only Donella returned."
Varian looked from his father to the book and back again,
"What do you know about Donella?" Varian questioned.
"She had been a good friend of your mother's. She wasn't herself after we lost her. She didn't talk much about what happened and I didn't push her to. I know she was hurting like I was."
"So...there's a chance mom could be alive."
"Varian..."
"You told me yourself, Donella never said mom was dead."
Quirin sighed.
"I'm sure there must be something in this journal th-that could help me find her!" Varian stumbled over his words in excitement as he flicked through the almanac. Quirin watched his son with a smile,
"I'm glad you're so enthusiastic about your mother's work. She would be so proud to see the young man you've become."
Varian smiled in return of his father's words and rushed to his desk to read his mother's journal.