Capture the Token

While the others were being bombarded with questions from everyone, Hugo slipped outside to get some air. He sat on the fence which surrounded the house. It was dark outside, but clouds obscured the stars.
"Hey."
Hugo looked around to see Varian, who was smiling, hands behind his back, "Mind if I join you?"
"Sure." Hugo smirked and Varian joined him on the fence, struggling to climb onto it. Hugo watched then chuckled when Varian finally pulled his legs over and sat by him.
"Do you wanna talk about the trial?" Varian asked.
"Do you?" Hugo laughed.
"Yeah, I do. You don't seem like yourself. You've been quiet since we got back."
"A relief for everyone, I'm sure." Hugo joked, grinning widely.
"Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm actually kinda worried about you." Varian frowned and Hugo's eyes darted to him. He felt a flutter in his stomach; he couldn't recall anyone ever being worried about him.
"No need to be. Sure, I'm mentally recovering from the trial, but I'll be fine by tomorrow." He laughed again.
"You know, I've never been good at talking about my feelings. But maybe if I tell you how I'm feeling, you could tell me how you're feeling?" Varian suggested, smiling kindly. Hugo glanced at the boy again, watching his growing smile.
"You're really not gonna let this go?" Hugo asked.
"Nope."
"Alright, Freckles. Let's talk. What did you see in the trial?"
"Hah. I, uh...saw you, actually."
"Oh?" Hugo grinned, "Do continue."
"It wasn't really you, though. You were...saying things I don't think you'd ever really say." Varian stared at the ground, "More like, you were saying things I was scared you could say."
"Like what?" Hugo raised a brow, intrigued.
"Like- I was weak...I couldn't do anything for myself- how you're so much better than I am." Varian tried to laugh it off, but he watched Hugo for his reaction. In truth, a part of Varian wanted to disprove the things the fake Hugo had said.

The blonde was as hard to read as ever; thinking carefully about his response,
"You're right. I wouldn't say any of that." He looked to Varian, "You know I don't think you're weak."
"Yeah, no, I know. It was just hard to hear, y'know?" Varian felt embarrassed to have admitted it.
"So you do care about what I think?" Hugo smirked.
"Well, yeah- you ride a motorbike, have a mechanical pet mouse- you have loads of piercings in your ears, you're tall." Varian laughed, "Of course I care what you think about me."
"Wait, are you jealous?"
"Wha- no! I'm not jealous, I just...wish I was more accomplished."
"Seriously? Goggles, I watched you take out a group of thugs with bath bombs and a bazooka. You saved me from a greed-induced siren fantasy, pulled me up the side of a cliff- not to mention getting us through the trials. Honestly, if I hadn't tagged along with you, I wouldn't've made it past Miyamgar."
"You mean it?" Varian asked, his cheeks growing red.
"Yeah, I mean it." Hugo chuckled, "You're one of the most accomplished people I've ever met- even with all your stupid moral stuff."
Varian nudged Hugo and they both chuckled, looking up at the cloudy sky.

"So, sounds like you think I'm pretty cool?" Hugo spoke after a while's silence, grinning wider than ever.
"I wish I hadn't said anything." Varian sighed, looking at Hugo, "But, I have been wanting to ask how you got that scar."
"This little thing?" Hugo smirked, gesturing to the scar in his brow, "Y'know, just the general wear-and-tear of the human body. Probably some scrap with one of my many associates." He said, casually and Varian rolled his eyes.
"What did you see in the trial?" Varian asked and Hugo thought over what he had seen. He could hardly tell Varian he'd seen Donella.
"I, uh...saw my mom." Hugo lied.
"I thought you didn't know your parents..?" Varian looked puzzled.
"Well, she isn't my biological mother. She kinda...took me in when I was young. She definitely isn't what I'd call the maternal type." Hugo smirked, "She's really strict...sometimes a little cold. Guess I can't complain, though; she took me in." Hugo cleared his throat, realising he was moving off topic, though Varian was very interested in what he was saying, "Anyway, when I saw her in the forest today, she basically said everything a kid's scared to hear from the woman who expects so much from him." Hugo's smile faltered and his eyes stared off into the distance. Varian frowned and placed a hand on the blonde's knee.
"Like y'said, it wasn't real, but it hurt." Hugo forced a laugh, "I think what hurts most is she would say those things...if I disappointed her." The blonde bit his lip and for the first time, Varian felt he was seeing the real Hugo, through the confident and smug facade.
"Hugo, I'm sure your mother's really proud of you-"
Hugo laughed dryly, "You haven't met her, and I hope you never have to."
"Well, she should be proud. Under the...rough exterior, you're a good person and a great friend."
"Thanks, Goggles." Hugo looked down at his hands as he thought about his encounter with Donella in the woods.
"Moms, am I right?" Varian nudged Hugo, who smirked.
"Always one to lighten the mood, hey Stripes?"
"That's me." He grinned.