The Eternal Library

"I- I'm completing your research." Varian grabbed at his backpack and pulled out his mother's journal. As soon as he had, Ulla took it from him.
"Where did you get this?" She asked quickly.
"I, uh...dad- dad gave it to me." Varian responded, watching his mother flick through the pages, "Donella...gave it to him." He finished, cautiously. Ulla's eyes widened.
"Donella? Where is she now?"
"Mom- I know what she did." Varian explained, "She tried to stop me getting to you."
"Varian, where is she?" Ulla placed a firm hand on her son's shoulder.
"I- I don't know..."
"She'll come after you- if she knows you're here, she'll try to use you to get to me!"
"Mom, it's ok- she's not here..." Varian assured his mother. Ulla sighed in relief and there was a short silence.
"I can't believe you're really alive." Varian stared into his mother's face and she smiled sadly.
"I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you...I've missed so much." Ulla held Varian's cheek in her hand.
"It's alright, mom." The boy placed his hand upon his mother's, "I'm gonna get you out of here- you'll get to see dad, a- and we can be a family again."
"Varian...I...want nothing more than to be with you and your father...but I can't. I have to protect the library."
"We can do it together once you're out of here- we'll make sure Donella doesn't-"
"I'm sorry, Varian...until I know the library is safe, I can't leave."
"Well...what can I do?" Varian asked, desperately.
"We must destroy the gateway."
"Destroy the gateway?" Varian's eyes widened, "Mom- we only just opened it."
"We?"
"My friends and I...we completed the trials together. I'm not sure they'll agree to close the gateway..."
"Talk to them." Ulla said, sternly, "You need to make them understand the urgency of this situation. Donella will come here if she knows you've opened the gateway. We can't let her in."
Varian nodded quickly, "Ok- I'll talk to them..." The boy smiled and turned, running toward the portal. Ulla watched after him.

Varian returned to the Demanitus chamber, thinking over his mother's words. When he arrived, he was greeted by his friends, who all gathered around.
"What was it like?" Nuru asked quickly.
"Any luck?" Hugo looked hopeful.
"Did you see your mom?" Yong added.
"Uh...yeah." Varian smiled happily, "I did."
Nuru clapped and Yong cheered. Hugo smiled at Varian, widely.
"She said she wants our help to protect the library." Varian started.
"How can we help?" Nuru asked.
"You need to make sure the device is stable and keeps the gateway open-protect it; Donella could show up any moment. She wants to get to the library, and we can't let her. When I get my mother out of there, we have to destroy the gateway." Varian told them, a serious expression on his face. Everyone looked between each other.
"We're gonna destroy it?" Yong asked.
"But, what about sharing the knowledge? If we close the gateway, how will I save my kingdom?" Nuru furrowed her brows.
"We can't just shut it off forever- after everything it took t'get here." Hugo crossed his arms.
"...We're here. That was the goal, right? I found my mother, and I have the chance to save her and take her home. If she says it's best to close the library, I trust her." Varian protested.
"So, she wants all the knowledge for herself?" Hugo shot back.
"What? No- of course she doesn't."
"That's what it sounds like t'me. She's been cooped up in there for years, learning everything she needs to. Now she doesn't want anyone else to have a cut of it."
"That's- no! She's just scared that the knowledge of the library will fall into the wrong hands. She doesn't want people like Donella to have access to it." Varian explained, desperately. He looked to Nuru and Yong for help.
"Varian, I...don't want to disagree with you, but Hugo's right. Learning shouldn't be exclusive. Everyone should have the right to enter the library and learn something." Nuru looked to the ground.
Varian stared in disbelief then looked to Yong, "Do you agree?"
Yong nervously nodded and Varian scoffed,
"I have the chance to free my mother! Why can't you guys trust her like I do?"
"She's your mom, Stripes. 'Course you're gonna wanna trust her. But we can't close the library to everyone."
"Please. She won't even...consider leaving unless she knows we'll close the library forever. She's in there to protect it from people like Donella." Varian clenched his jaw tightly.
Nuru and Yong exchanged looks.
"She can tell us everything she's learnt- she can help you with your kingdom!" Varian looked to Nuru, pleadingly and she forced a smile after a moment's thought.
"Ok. We'll free your mother and destroy the library gateway." She said finally and Yong followed suit, smiling kindly and nodding.
"Seriously?" Hugo laughed dryly, "It doesn't seem suspicious to you that ol' Ulla wants to keep the knowledge of the library all to herself?"
"She's protecting it." Varian glared.
"She's being selfish." Hugo stood his ground, and watched as Varian grew more upset.
"Which isn't a bad thing, right?" He spat.
"You taught me it is." Hugo replied and Varian was lost for words for a moment.
"She's trying to do what's right! Don't act like you know anything about her."
"I know she's acting weird for someone who's been trapped away for however many years. If I were her, I'd want out as soon as possible. Why can't she protect the library from out here? She could choose who enters and who doesn't."
"As long as she's in there, Donella can't slip past her. She has control over it in there."
"Too much control, clearly- V, you need to see she's using you to get what she wants." Hugo sighed.
"She's not using me! Helping each other is what a family does. I guess you wouldn't know about that." Varian snapped, spitefully and watched as Hugo's eyes glistened, something in them shifting.