chapter 1

It was a rising sun, and with that, the rise of a new day. A day full of possibilities and renewed hope. Swanflutter often spoke of the luxury which came along with life, how every little thing had purpose, how every organism had a soul and how every soul was precious. Everything was a cycle. It was a delicate balance between life and death, between prey and predator, between black and white.

It was all mesmerizing to Dawnkit to hear her mother speak such words. She was the wisest cat she'd ever met, however that list was fairly limited.

She often found her lessons often lurking in the deepest parts of her mind, relating them to moments in her everyday life. She loved her mother more than anything; adored her even. She wanted to be just like her; wise beyond her years, beautiful, gentle...

Compassionate.

She only knew good, though her life was only so small, but it was so intense with her mother. It was as if her energy was contagious, and Dawnkit never knew what it was like to be afraid when in her mother's care. It was a feeling which brought her comfort, and a feeling she wasn't sure she could live without.

Brinekit was different. He was the golden boy, and he held all of her father's attention. However she didn't mind. Tigertaunt was scary, Swanflutter wasn't.

"What are you thinking about, my little dove?" Cooed the voice she had grown to love. Dawnkit smiled faintly as her thoughts were disturbed by her mother, however she only responded with a small shrug.

"A lot of things mama. My mind seems to never find a single thing to focus on." She hummed as she leaned against the soft gray fur her mother adorned.

"I understand; just means you have a creative mind. Be proud of it, Dawnkit. It truly is a blessing." Swanflutter lulled in return, warm green eyes flickering to meet those of a crystalline blue.

"Thanks mama, I will. Gives me at least something over Brinekit."

"You know it isn't a competition."

"But it is!" Dawnkit snickered, her little tail wrapping around her paws.

"You and Brinekit have your weaknesses but you also have your strengths, and that is what makes you both so special in your own ways. You want to know something?"

As Swanflutter spoke, Dawnkit only shrugged, however she awaited for her mother's response with hidden curiosity.

"In a world like we live in, we're taught to be selfish, to want for our own desires. We grow to think that we can only be happy when we are at the top, and those cats will hurt whoever they can in the process. Making life a competition never ends well, and being at the top does not guarantee happiness. In fact, I believe it strips you of it." Each word was spoken so delicately and softly, however Dawnkit couldn't help but question the words which left her mother's mouth.

"I don't understand. When I get what I want, it makes me happy. When I'm better than the others at mossball or tag, it makes me happy. How can being at the top take happiness away when it feels so good to succeed?"

Swanflutter only sighed as she stared longingly at Brinekit who was playfully sparring with the other kits before continuing.

"Because yes, those small victories make us feel good, but true happiness can only be found in love. Not all are as blessed as you. Not all are born into love, but you were. Don't take advantage of that."