epilogue

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚。

"You know Leopardpaw is all talk, she's really just a big scaredy cat."

"I am not!"

"Fine, then prove it. Let's see who can climb the red wood first." Dawnpaw grinned, her tail lashing with excitement as her eyes beamed competitively.

"Oh please, you're going to eat my dust." Leopardpaw rolled her eyes, her copper gaze shining in the bright sunlight.

"Bark, if we're being technical." Lionpaw shrugged.

"Lionpaw, no one cares." Dovepaw groaned, resulting in a small laugh from Tealpaw and Nightpaw.

"Well, when one of you falls and breaks your neck, I won't be hauling your big rumps back home." Blossompaw deadpanned, a single ear flicking.

"Oh Bloss, stop being a buzzkill." Brinepaw retorted, however a small smile laced his face before all the apprentices turned back to the competitive duo.

"No please, I'd love to see Dawnpaw fall on her face." Dovepaw snickered, a smug grin tugging at her face however it appeared as though Dawnpaw was trying to ignore her.

"Okay okay, so the first to the top and back down wins. Sound simple enough?" Leopardpaw explained as she looked to her best friend.

"For me, however I'm not so sure about you." Dawnpaw bantered back, however her words were lighthearted as her whiskers twitched in amusement.

Leopardpaw just rolled her eyes playfully as the two began making their way to the start of the tree, each getting ready to take off as their friends gathered around them.

Nightpaw jumped to the nearest log as he tipped his chin, his fluffy sable tail curling around his paws as the others waited patiently.

"Welcome to the annual tree climbing competition! First we have Dawnpaw, the deputy's daughter, and Leopardpaw, the terrifying leopard!" Nightpaw boasted, looking all too pleased with himself.

"You're a horrible reporter." Blossompaw mewed, Tealpaw nudging the sable molly to silently hush her.

"Can we just get started already?" Dovepaw groaned.

"Whatever, okay," Nightpaw paused as a challenging glint beamed within his eyes, "go!"

Leopardpaw instantly kicked off her hindquarters as her claws latched onto the bark, her back legs hauling her up as she got to the first branch, not even batting Dawnpaw a single glance as she kept her eyes glued to the top.

It was a feeling of pure euphoria, the sound of rushing wind mixed with the laughter from her friends below as she glided through the tree, losing footing a few times but regaining it. Eventually she made it to the top just to be met with Dawnpaw, her friend's blue eyes shining brightly before they both were rushing to the ground.

Leopardpaw was growing messier with her movements, but as the ground grew nearer, she grew more excited. She completely missed the branch and ended up falling, however she caught herself.