chapter 19

"I'm not ready. Not even close. I'm the farthest thing from ready." Dawncurl vented as she sunk into her nest, tail curled around her dainty paws as Doveflutter placed her own on Dawncurl's, sage gaze encouraging.

"I don't know how you feel, so I'm not going to act like I do, but I know that you are fully capable of leading us." Doveflutter soothed, however she disregarded her words with a frustrated flick of her tail.

"No. No, I'm not fully capable. StarClan Dove, I'm scared."

"I'm sure every deputy has said the same thing as you at this very moment." Doveflutter lulled, and Dawncurl just shook her head aggressively.

"No, you don't understand. I have no idea how to lead." Dawncurl croaked as she tried to steady her breathing.

"I know you do."

"How can you be so sure?" Dawncurl mumbled, eyes fixated on her paws as she heard Doveflutter sigh from beside her.

"Because I've seen it before." The calico purred as she crawled closer to her and settled beside the white molly. "All the way back when we were in SpringClan, I would've never made it out of there without you, Dawncurl. You naturally took charge, and you managed to keep me calm in the process. You will be just fine."

"I hate you." Dawncurl responded as she dug her head into her paws, her mate chuckling from beside her.

"You love me."

"I can do both." The deputy mumbled. The two she-cats sat in a comfortable silence and Dawncurl could feel herself calming down, though her thoughts weren't as kind to her. Her father was dead, and her brother killed him. She nearly wanted to laugh when she went over it in her head.

It wasn't funny, and she didn't think it was. It was tragic.

"Dawncurl?" A questioning voice called out. Dawncurl lifted her head to meet dim yellow eyes; Graypetal. Her former mentor stood by the entrance of the den, and she could feel Doveflutter nudging her cheek encouragingly.

"Are you ready?" The medicine cat queried, his voice solemn as he held her gaze. Dawncurl inhaled then exhaled, meeting her mate's sage gaze before looking back to Graypetal and nodding slowly.

"I'm ready." She replied, forcing out as much confidence as she could muster. Graypetal nodded and she padded towards him, Doveflutter following.

She was met by a small crowd of Leopardlune, Brinebloom, Risingpaw and Hiddenpaw.

"I can't believe my mentor is going to be the leader!" Her apprentice squealed, green eyes bright. Dawncurl narrowed her gaze on the lithe molly before flicking her shoulder playfully.

"Maybe you'll start listening to me now." Dawncurl mocked, Risingpaw nodding her head quickly as she beamed back up to her mentor.

"I wouldn't count on it."

"Oh I wasn't." She teased.

"I can't believe it D." Leopardlune spoke up next, golden eyes glaring in the descending sunlight. "I mean, I'm a little surprised. Always thought it was going to be me, but I'm proud of you." She purred.

"Thanks Leo." Dawncurl chuckled.

"But don't you dare start ordering me around, I'll keep you in your place." Her friend then warned, a chilling glint lurking within her gaze until they softened. "Kidding- sorta."

"Good luck." Brinebloom spoke next, his voice much more fragile than that of the others. Dawncurl held his gaze for a few moments until he spoke again.