chapter 8

It seemed as if her whole world had flipped in just the matter of one day, and Dawnpaw loved every moment of it. The attention was something she didn't know she was lacking, but she quickly grew fond of it. After her session with Tigertaunt, Graypetal and Sunstar, it was decided she would transfer ranks, and to her utter shock, Tigertaunt immediately offered to take on her training.

The first cat she confided in was Leopardpaw, the two nearly leaping over each other in a haze of excitement. In the corner of her eye, she even caught Dovepaw's encouraging smile in the background.

Dawnpaw was alone now, standing beside her new nest in the apprentices' den, beside her best friend's like they had planned when they were kits. It all seemed to fall together perfectly in her favor and Dawnpaw was the happiest she had been in awhile.

Furthermore, leaf-fall was steadily approaching which meant it was FallClan's turn to host the gathering.

Each clan was named after a season, and in the course of a year, four gatherings were held. SpringClan hosted during new-leaf, SummerClan during green-leaf, FallClan during leaf-fall and lastly, WinterClan hosted during leaf-bare.

Instead of a night given to every full moon, each clan would select a few cats to accompany the leader to the hosting clan's camp, where all four clans would spend one night together in peace. Due to FallClan hosting, everyone was busy, making sure there was enough prey to feed all the gathered felines which were coming by nightfall.

Within the timespan of gatherings, an actual meeting is held where the leaders discuss their clan's recent news, and the rest of the time is spent teaching and learning from one another.

"Hey you!"

Dawnpaw flicked her ear as an overly enthusiastic yet all too familiar voice traveled into her ears, blue eyes meeting Leopardpaw's burning gaze.

"Hey." Dawnpaw grinned, batting her paw over her friend's ears playfully.

"We've been selected to go on one of the final hunting patrols in preparation for the gathering." The other apprentice informed her, eyes rounded eagerly.

"Really?" Dawnpaw beamed, padding beside the pale bengal as they joined the patrol which consisted of both their mentors— Tigertaunt and Duskfur— as well as the twins, Frozenlily and Frostbird.

"About time you two joined us." Frozenlily beamed, swatting them both with her tail as her sister chuckled beside her.

"So, what's the plan?" Duskfur queried, gaze meeting Tigertaunt's. He seemed a little tense, however Dawnpaw assumed it was due to the gathering. After all, Duskfur had recently been wounded by SpringClan warriors and now he was going to have to live with them.

"I was thinking we head to Needle Point, I heard Goldenfell mention it was full of voles the last time he was there." Frostbird spoke, Tigertaunt nodding slowly before the group headed off.

Dawnpaw was more than content. Just a few sunrises ago she was sorting herbs, and now she was constantly out and more in tune with her clan and friends. She was meant for this, and she was glad her father finally realized it.

The patrol went off, the twins talking with Tigertaunt as Duskfur took the end. Dawnpaw kept close to Leopardpaw, the two laughing about anything and everything.

When they arrived at Needle Point, they spent it wisely, trying to catch as much as possible. When the patrol was satisfied, they returned home at the setting sun. To their luck, the other patrol— Flowerbee, Dovepaw, Goldenfell, Lionpaw and Southlight— had arrived shortly after them.

"Do you think this will be enough?" Flowerbee queried to an approaching Sunstar, who glanced at all the gathered prey before meeting her gaze.

"This should be enough, thank you all." The leader smiled, nodding his head to the two patrols.