chapter 18

My past has tasted bitter for years now
So I weild an iron fist
Grace is just weakness
Or so I've been told
I've been cold, I've been merciless
But the blood on my hands scares me to death
Maybe I'm waking up today.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚。

Nothing made sense. His thoughts. His feelings. Nothing. Truth be told, he felt trapped. He felt consumed in an indestructible field and he wasn't sure there was anything worse than his restricting mentality.

Mid spring rainfall coated the lands, the sky holding a murky gray which sheltered life below from the sun. Morning fog settled and the ground was damp and muddy.

A sickness was spreading throughout camp and it was apparently bad enough that it kept Graypetal worried. Fernpaw got sick first, complaining about a fever and sore throat. Next was Duskfur. Tealpool was the last to be diagnosed, and he had it the worst.

Brinebloom had tried to visit his friend, however Graypetal wouldn't allow it. The medicine cat was only allowing immediate family, so Doveflutter and Blossomfall were staying by his side.

Despite the spreading sickness and overall muggy atmosphere, life continued on. He watched his sister sharing tongues and talking with Lionglare and Nightglow. She still had cobwebs glued to her body, however she was slowly healing— physically, that is— he was sure Dawncurl was struggling with an immense mental battle, just as he was.

Brinebloom had been so mad at her and he constantly found himself blaming her for all of his problems. He grew up with instant admiration, and now his father hardly noticed him.

Now, he wasn't so sure he even wanted his father's attention. Seeing the toll it was taking on Dawncurl was almost terrifying. Tigerstar was turning his sister into a war criminal.

Brinebloom let out a shaky sigh as he padded to a puddle, watching the water ripple as rain droplets shattered the surface. In the distorted water, he glanced at his reflection, gently placing his paw on the small scar which laced his face. Dawncurl may have fallen into Tigerstar's trap, but she grew up with Swanflutter's undying love. Not Brinebloom. His mother was never that affectionate to him.

Now she was dead, and his father was someone Brinebloom was coming to realize as ruthless. However one small detail stuck in his mind, replaying over and over.

In an attempt to save his life, Dawncurl had released secretive information, information which could be detrimental. Tigerstar was never given nine lives.

Brinebloom wasn't the violent type. Vindictive maybe, but never violent. However the silver tomcat found himself conflicted.

"Hey you." Leopardlune beamed, her golden eyes ablaze as she nudged his shoulder. "How's your shoulder?"

"Hurts." Brinebloom spoke and Leopardlune held his gaze momentarily before she spoke again.

"Those SpringClan cats are crazy." She mused, shaking her head before she settled beside him. Leopardlune wasn't much for personal space. "I've been training Risingpaw lately, because Dawncurl is really busy and she was in the medicine cat den for so long. She's great though, a little demanding to be an apprentice, but great. I think she likes me more than your sister." The bengal rambled on. Brinebloom didn't mind her excessive babbling though. Leopardlune loved to talk about herself, and Brinebloom hated to talk about himself, so it kinda worked perfectly. Usually he would get annoyed with such outgoing cats, but he didn't mind her company.