chapter 22

You taught me the courage of stars before you left
How light carries on endlessly, even after death
With shortness of breath
You explained the infinite
And how rare and beautiful it is to even exist.

trigger warning
extreme description of gore.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚。

She was on edge. She was constantly on edge. Her mind was unforgiving, constantly keeping her awake at night. Sometimes she could calm the storm of thoughts in her mind as she set her focus on Doveflutter sleeping, her chest rising and falling delicately in her sleep enough to ease her.

Though her worries were sometimes too strong that not even Doveflutter's comforting presence could tame them.

Days were passing, sometimes quickly, sometimes painfully slow. The days were growing longer and tensions were increasing, especially within the dynamics of her own clan.

Cats were constantly nagging at her for not choosing a deputy, though a deputy was the least of her concerns. She liked being in control of it all. She liked control.

Days were falling into routines again, strict and orderly routines. She would wake up, eat breakfast with her mate, arrange patrols, train Risingpaw and then stare at the nursery as she mentally fought herself on whether or not to check up on her friend and the unborn kits which resided within her growing belly.

Then the impending war was another stressful factor. Ever since the gathering, Dawnstar had been sending out double patrols, many she went on herself. Sometimes she'd even catch herself falling asleep at Fishcape while guarding.

Luckily, no more deaths were happening. She had always thought in the back of her mind that it was Tigerstar behind it all, but now that could no longer be true, seeing as Hawkhowl had died after her father's death. Maybe she'd never know who was behind it all.

Though somewhere within it all, it was as if Dawnstar had lost the joy of life, she supposed. She always felt like she was drowning, only ever finding moments to breathe so rarely. Sometimes she found herself mentally cursing at her father for burdening her with such a tedious rank so young then dying on her so early.

She was a good fighter, sure, but not leader. She knew that. Everyone else knew that.

Though she was finally able to bring out some joy to her clan. A small effort, but something nonetheless. Just the day before, Dawnstar and all the other mentors had arranged a final assessment for the apprentices as they had reached their twelfth moon, in which they all passed.

Things had been slow, however she was sure a meeting could bring some clarity, so Dawnstar didn't hesitate as she found herself approaching the Highledge.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the Highledge for a clan meeting!" Her voice rang out, though it had only dawned on her that this was her first official meeting as a leader.

To her left she saw Silverpool lapping mercilessly at Fernpaw's coat, Hiddenpaw beside her as she stared excitedly at her sister.

On her right, she saw Frostbird gathering her four kits— including her own apprentice— as she fixed a few strands of fur on their own coats.