chapter 4

Midnight came quickly, however despite the lengthy journey home from Clearfalls, Dawnpaw wasn't tired. Far from it actually; her mind was all over the place.

The pale molly had found herself perched upon one of the jutting rocks located in her camp which overlooked everything. She liked being able to watch her clan, sometimes she'd even memorize their typical routines. However she mainly focused on how they'd interact with each other, subconsciously taking notes in her head. She was always observant. She liked watching others, seeing how they'd react to certain things, then she'd mold herself to fit their personalities. She called it adapting and matching energies. All that spiritual mojo she'd hear Graypetal talk about.

However the apprentice wasn't left to think for long as she was approached by her father, resulting in her instantly fixing her posture, her slanted gaze not meeting his once.

"You have a test tomorrow and you've been out all day. Why aren't you sleeping?"

"I work fine off no sleep, father. I'll do good tomorrow, I promise."

"Graypetal tells me you've learned absolutely nothing."

Dawnpaw felt her heartbeat quicken in her chest, however she forced herself to stay composed as she finally met his crystalline gaze.

"I was off today. I'll do better tomorrow."

"I don't want your excuses Dawnpaw." The tabby scolded, and she swore if he pinned his ears back any further they'd reach his skull. "I specifically asked Sunstar to assign you to Graypetal so you get an instant invite to the high ranks. This is a blessing, and I won't tolerate a child who's a failure, especially one gifted with such a respectable role so young."

She wasn't a failure. It wasn't her fault she was apprenticed to a job she knew she had zero interest in. At this point, Dawnpaw wasn't scared, not even a little. She was jealous. She was angry.

"Well then I suppose you'll have two failures in the family." The pale molly hissed, eyes slanted. "Because Brinepaw got his tail handed to him today."

"Come again?"

"Yeah. Leopardpaw and Brinepaw sparred. You know Leopardpaw?" It was word vomit but it just kept coming. "Yeah, the newest apprentice beat your golden boy."

Now came the guilt. What was she doing? Half of her was scared her father was going to punish her for her outburst, the other part of her worried for Brinepaw. It was just one stupid spar. It wasn't that big of a deal.

"Really." Tigertaunt spoke, however it wasn't really a question and his voice was completely apathetic— as usual— it gave Dawnpaw chills. She opened her mouth to speak, but closed it instantly.

She didn't have anything to say.

~~~

Morning came quicker than she would've wanted and all she had was the pesky melody of birdsong to remind her that Graypetal was going to quiz her over the herbs that day, and no matter how many times she tried to convince herself the knowledge would come naturally to her, she knew deep down it wouldn't.

The pale she-cat left the medicine cat den only to be greeted by a pair of dastardly green eyes.

Dovepaw.

"I'm busy. Can you leave me alone for once?" She groaned, shoving past the calico however she stopped immediately at her words.

"Have you seen Brinepaw today?"

Dawnpaw remained paused for a few painfully long seconds before she slowly turned to face her, her eyes rounding in confusion. Dovepaw's tone held solicitude and that terrified her. It wasn't like her to be caring.