Chapter Forty-One (2)

He lunged towards us, fangs bared. It took all of two steps and one long leap for the Shift to finish, fur growing all along his body and muscles rippling along his side like ripples from a pebble on a lake.

            I didn't think I'd manage to react fast enough, but I tried just the same; launching myself to one side and shoving Iris out of the way, taking the brunt force of the attack. It was like being hit by a brick wall, so hard I was knocked to the ground. Lightning raced down my side where the claws of the panther raked through my skin, ripping it as though it were no more than paper. I cried out, struggling to move; but I couldn't, the panther - Balthazar - was blocking any escape route.

            My eyes widened as his narrowed, blood dripping from his claws. My whole body went cold, and I was about to close my eyes when there was a loud thwack from where Iris' staff had collided with his skull.

            In that moment of surprise, I managed to push him off me and roll out of the way. My side throbbed. I pressed a handful of my shirt against the wounds, trying not to cry. Iris was facing the panther now, her eyes narrowed in concentration and knees bent, fending off each attack the panther made.

            She lashed out, the tip of her staff connecting with his nose. It barely affected him; he shook the blow off and barrelled towards her. I didn't think. I reacted before my brain knew what I was doing - I pushed Iris out of the way and threw myself at the panther.

            I Shifted in mid air, and there was a second when I wondered what animal I was now, before I slammed into him and we both tumbled to the earth. I cried out, the noise a guttural roar as the ground flew up to meet us.

            I felt a mouth full of sharp teeth sink into my shoulder and I roared in pain as everything exploded in white-hot pain. In retaliation, I swiped at the panther, red lines of blood springing out where my claws had raked through the thick, black skin.

            The panther made a strangled noise, as if he was choking, and he disentangled itself from me, glaring at me with its bright golden eyes. I met his glare with just as much force. I would not surrender.

            I reared back, my back paws digging into the soft ground and I snarled, sure that my lips were curled away from my teeth like Balthazar's. We both stood in silence, watching the other bleed a few metres away. I wondered where Iris was, before Balthazar attacked again.

            As soon as I moved I knew it was a bad idea - my shoulder was pouring blood and I was getting weaker by the second. I could almost feel the strength running out of my body, and all I wanted to do was curl up in a warm corner and cry and wish myself away from here.

            A stab of pain raked down my spine and I stopped, watching Balthazar barrel towards me with a speed that I couldn't even imagine. I waited for the inevitable impact, feeling calmer than I had ever felt before - as if I was ready to die. I wasn't sure if I was.

            But then, right before the impact, a small blur intercepted the panther, and a huge whack sound came from where Iris had smashed her heavy staff against the running legs of the King. She laughed, a shrill sound. Her eyes were wild, and she moved in front of me, spinning the staff.