Chapter Five (2)

KEIRA GAPED AT ME, and I could almost see the thoughts whizzing around in her head. She didn't believe me. Who would? Most people would think you were mad, and send for a doctor. Or the asylum, but I supposed that the doctor would probably send me to the asylum. There was no cure for someone who went against society's rules.

                "I'm not crazy, or...or -" I began, but was cut off by Keira murmuring:

                "That would explain my dream." she looked like she was straining to remember something important. She grabbed my hand tightly, gripping it like it was her only link to life.

                "What dream?" I asked.

                "I...last night I had a dream. I was a wolf in it, and I was stuck in a cage. Three people were watching me from outside. They all had bright green eyes, and - well, this is the weird bit...they all had wings." she shook her head. "Autumn, what's going on?" she asked hopelessly."Am I mad?"

                "Kei, you're a werewolf. I told you." I repeated. She thinks I'm mad. She thinks she's mad. I'm fairly sure that I'm mad. I bit my lip; I was probably right.

                "Oh, no, no, no, no." she shook her head stubbornly. "Look, who are you and what have you done with Autumn Moore?" she demanded. "My best friend wouldn't believe this kind of rubbish." she muttered, almost to herself.

                "Keira, it's true. Look at me. My eyes have changed, haven't they." I told her, cupping her face in my hands. Tears were threatening to fall from her eyes, and she stared up at me in despair.

                "Autumn...please, I...my family..." her voice cracked and she leaned into me, weeping on my shoulder. I hugged her tight, like we hadn't seen each other for years.

                "It's gonna be OK." I repeated over and over again, like a mother to her young child. "We're going to be fine."

                "How can it be?" she wept, her body wracked with sobs that were soaking my shoulder, but I didn't care. My best friend, my invincible best friend, was crying. I had never seen her cry. Keira Parish didn't cry; she built a bridge and got over it! "Autumn, we don't know where we are. We don't know who these people are. We don't know anything. We can't do anything about it. We're alone." Her words hit me hard.

                She met my eyes, and I took in the emotion inside them. They were full to the brim with pain, anger, sorrow...so many emotions I didn't think that it was possible to feel all of those things at once. "They...I don't know what they did to us. Maybe they gave you contacts when you were asleep? Someone must have drugged our drinks at the party, I had a weird dream that started with being attacked by a...by a wolf..." suddenly she stopped. And frowned.

                "Kei..." I began, but she shushed me.

                "It...the wolf, in my dream...it bit me. Right on my shoulder...here." she slid down the sleeve of her hospital dress and we saw it.