Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Shopping

The following week went by without incident, which was saying something since the incident with those rapists was supposed to happen this week. I was grateful I didn't have to go through that, especially since Edward had been staring at me every chance he got.

I found his stares uncomfortable and eerily creepy. It seemed like he wanted to eat me one minute and then the next he looked pissed. I knew he was having trouble; I knew he thought he was a soulless monster and the fact that he wanted my blood so much was making him suffer, especially since I won't even look at him and the only time we ever spend together is when we have biology.

But honestly, I couldn't even force myself to care. He thought he was a monster but believed his siblings were perfect, that was so contradictory that I just don't want to care about his drama.

I found myself caring about Rosalie almost immediately, what had happened to her before she was turned, it reminds me of all the men who had tried, and luckily failed, with me. When I see her, strong and so in love with Emmett, it gives me hope.

I'd never thought of having a partner before, I was content with Marianna, but sometimes I do wonder what it would feel like for someone to hold me, the way Emmett holds Rosalie.

Alice and Jasper were also different, I cared for them too, I don't know when it started but the time, we spent together the last two weeks at lunch in the library was so relaxing and I found it so easy to talk to them.

They asked me so many questions, just about things I like or dislike, and we spent the entire lunch debating music and fashion, that for once I'm so happy I could burst.

Now I have a father and three amazing friends, where before I only had whatever Marianna was to me.

I shook my head as I made my way outside. Once I stepped off the last step, Alice was there, her arms wrapped around my waist and her face in my neck.

"Isabel!" I giggled and hugged her back, wondering idly if she was scenting me. She seemed more controlled than Edward was, and Jasper was already looking better since I gave him the bracelet. I even saw him smile and fooling around with Emmett in the cafeteria.

"Hey, Pixie are you ready to go?" it took me a moment before I realized what I had called her, but before I could apologize, she smiled and I thought her eyes were glowing with what could only be happiness.

She took my hand and dragged me towards the car, luckily not the Volvo, "Yes, I'm so ready. Let's go!"

The drive to Seattle was pleasantly filled with delightful chit-chat and fun music. I couldn't help but relax in her presence, even though I knew she was a deadly creature that thirsted for blood, I knew Alice had never killed someone before. But I knew that wasn't even the reason I let my guard down so much with her since I felt the same way in Jasper's presence as well and I knew with his past he had killed many innocents.

Once we settled into the hotel Alice ordered room service for both of us. I wondered how she was going to play this since I knew she didn't eat.

"You eat, Isabel, I'm going to take a shower! When I'm done you can have one too."

I giggled as I started eating, having just gotten the answer to my question. The hotel room was beautiful, and I knew this must have been expensive, and I idly wondered what shopping with Alice would be like.

I knew the Cullen's all dressed in expensive clothes and since they were so old, they must have accumulated a lot of money, so that wouldn't be a problem. Alice also loved fashion and I was sure she'd want to buy all new styles.

The closet in Devil's Wears Prada popped into my mind and I found myself wondering what Alice's closet looked like. It couldn't be that big, right.

Alice appeared then in a cloud of steam, wearing nothing but her towel and I suddenly found myself entranced. She really was beautiful, but that was to be expected. I raked my eyes over her pale white legs and stopped at her cute, tiny toes.

When I looked back up into her eyes, they were black and watching me closely. I swallowed my last bite and cleared my throat; something had changed in the atmosphere around us and I didn't know what it was.

Awkwardly, I got up and quickly made my way into the bathroom, making sure to grab my clothes on the way. Once inside I realized that Alice's eyes were black! They were black and my shield did not come out, I hadn't even felt a slight push or anything.

Wondering for the hundredth time today, I finished up and stepped out ready for a day in the mall.

Shopping with Alice was really something else. Maybe it was because of her power but we never 'browsed', that seemed to be too plebian for the little pixie. Every store we went to, we found exactly what we wanted, or instead, we found what Alice saw.

I was fascinated by her power, by her, the way she would zone-out, but still, somehow remain active even talking to me while she was having one of her visions. Of course, I shouldn't have been surprised, she was more than a hundred years old.

I would have thought she'd get lost, get completely entwined in her element, but she was very conscious of me and my needs, every three hours maybe she'd bring me a snack or something to drink, it made me feel, I don't know, but the feeling was good, and I liked it very much.

It was nearing the end of the day and we were in the last shop before we'd head back to the hotel. I had already gotten everything I wanted and was now waiting for Alice.

I heard her grunt and then she stepped out from behind the curtain to the dressing room, she was wearing a dress, and all I could think was that it was too bloody short.

Once again, I was entranced by those pale legs, and I idly wondered what they'd feel like under my hand. Suddenly I was too hot, my body vibrating, and I realized with a jolt that I was attracted to Alice.

I looked up at her, but luckily for me, she seemed too busy scowling at herself in the mirror. Did she notice my staring? I shook my head and turned towards her.

"I don't understand! I know I saw this exact dress, just in a beautiful green, but this is the only color I could find!"

My eyes widened as I stared at her, my brain quickly putting two and two together. Without thinking I pulled her into the small changing room.

I had to swallow back my groan as I had her almost pressing against me, my teenage hormones apparently choosing now to appear.

I cleared my throat and took a breath. "You said green, right?"

Alice nodded, watching me intently, her gaze seeming too intense, her black eyes devouring me.

I held my hand out and closed my eyes, Alice appeared in my mind, still wearing the insanely too short dress, but this time her body was covered in green, the color of the leaves from the trees that overpopulated Forks.

I heard her gasp and the sound made me shudder, when I opened my eyes the dress was in my hands and Alice was staring at me with wide golden eyes.

"What, but Isabel?"

I chuckled, who knew I could shock a vampire. I held the dress out to her, "I know that you know I'm different, I can do other things besides stop vans and burn people," I looked down, "Sorry about that by the way, I didn't want to hurt you, never, I was just exhausted, and my power protected me while I was vul..."

Before I could finish, I found myself wrapped into Alice's embrace, her arms pressed me against her, and I buried my head into her neck.

"Don't apologize, Isabel, I understand perfectly. My instincts also rule me sometimes."

She held me at armlengths and smiled, "Now, let's pay for all this and get back to the hotel. I want to see what your powers really can do!"

She reached down to take off the dress and with wide eyes, I ran out. Shit! I really needed to get my thoughts together, but it had to wait till I was back home, and alone. In the meantime, I'd have to sit through what I knew would be a fashion show and just hope my hormones don't start ruling me.