Chapter 3

a/n please comment any inconsistencies with my writing, I don’t reread chapters before starting new ones

Amazing banners made by americanmediocrity

Chapter 3

Phenomenon

The next morning I woke up with regret. Why had I done that? Why did I make it seem like I was a psychic like Alice? Obviously my brain had taken an hour long vacation. For someone who could remember everything I’ve ever read or seen I was really stupid!

In the library back where I came from I had never thought of the future, or the past. I had always lived in the present, if you could call that living. It was more like excisting. I had no real purpose or goal; even now I was just foolishly running around this new life.

Did I need a goal? What a stupid question. What was Bella’s goal? As far as I knew she had wanted to become a teacher before she met Edward and then suddenly became obsessed with becoming like him. I didn’t want that.

We drove to school in silence; I think Dad enjoyed the silence for a change instead of the needless babble. Maybe we didn’t have to talk nonstop. My mind was preoccupied with my future, for the first time in my life I was thinking of one for myself.

I walked through the parking lot still in thought; I hadn’t greeted anyone, not even Angela. I didn’t even smile; my face was the same stoic expression I had always worn before, somehow the fairytale like gloss that enveloped me since I got here had been abruptly removed from my mind. I was so deep in thought I realized too late that I was about to be squished by a dark blue van.

Really! Why had I thought that since I didn’t drive to school in that awful truck that the van incident wouldn’t happen? Was something in this universe out to get me? Will I be subjected to all of Bella’s bad luck? I watched as the van neared, it skidded, tires locked and screeching against the brakes, spinning wildly across the ice of the parking lot. It was going to hit me straight on.

I didn’t notice anything else; it was just me and the van. I couldn’t just fling it out of the way like I had done to previous dangers. But maybe I could stop it in its tracks. I curled into myself, jutting out my hand to stop it with my power and surprisingly, it worked. The van halted mere centimetres in front of me, the force of my power making Tyler slam straight into his steering wheel.

Chaos immediately erupted around us, most of the students rushing towards Tyler. I thought I could get away quickly, but an iron grip stopped me from running. I turned and stared into the pitch black eyes of Alice Cullen.

“Isabella, are you alright?” she was frantic, her voice hoarse with emotion. I couldn’t answer, my power had sprung forth again with the knowledge her black eyes provided. Suddenly she let out a shriek and jumped away from me.

Without her grip on me, I stumbled, my power taking its toll. My vision faded and I fell onto the icy road with a hard thump.

--

Why does this keep happening to me? What had brought on this new force field that wanted to protect me from hungry vampires? I had no idea where it had come from, maybe my powers were growing. I sighed and rubbed at my eyes. One thing was for sure, I had to practice controlling this force field, and soon!

I opened my eyes and looked around me, I was in small room with two beds and a desk, seemed like this was the nurse’s office. Good I was still at school. My eyes fell on Alice, who was sitting on the other bed next to me. Edward was leaning against the door behind her.

They were both watching me and I suddenly felt really uncomfortable. This was even worse than all those people who used to watch me as a child on the streets. “Uhm, hi?” I moved into a sitting position, with my feet on the ground. “How long was I out?”