1

Renegade (present day)

"Come on, Uncle Kaden please!"

He grunts, but continues walking away from me. Too bad I'm impossible to ignore.

"We promise not to destroy anything this time. We'll be more careful."

Says the girl who singlehandedly destroyed an entire building with a shield. My wolf, Ailith adds her unnecessary opinion.

Seriously, shields are supposed to be used to defend yourself, right?

I ignore my wolf's snide remarks and go back to begging Uncle Kaden. He, as the beta, is in charge of training the pack's fighters and the only wolf who has access to the knight's exhibit in the Delphinea Castle Museum.

I give up on asking him when he slams his office door in my face. Nobody is allowed to enter the alpha, beta and gamma offices unless granted permission or it's an emergency. Not even Raider, Gabriel, Brett and I.

I huff and cross my arms. Guess Marco, Tamreen and I are on a mission tonight.

On my way to Marco's house, I bump into my brother and his friend.

"Watch where you're going, squirt." I say as I ruffle his black hair.

"Hey!" He complains and tries to fix it.

Honestly, there's no point. His hair will never look neat. Neither will mine; wild and uncontrollable hair is one thing we inherited from our dad. But I'm the one who inherited Dad's gray eyes while he got mom's blue ones.

"Where are you running off to, Ren?" Brett, the Gammas' son asks with his ever present smile.

"Nowhere." I ruffle his small afro.

"You know what, I'm not even going to try to find out because the minute I do, I'll be dragged along into your shenanigans." My brother, Raider sighs.

I laugh, remembering all the times he's got into trouble with me, because of me. Little brothers. So easily manipulated if you know what to say.

I forget the two and run off into the network of houses scattered around our territory.

In a short amount of time, I am at the Barnes household. I knock on the door, wait for a second or two, then get crushed by Marco's mom in a tight hug.

"You're so big now, Renegade! It feels like yesterday you were born." She says.

"Lovely to see you too, Jessica. Is Marco around?" I ask peering over her shoulder for her son. It's pretty hard to see through her thick wavy brown hair.

"Marco! Get down here, you done cleaning your room?" She shouts.

Man, this woman has a loud voice doesn't she. It's her greatest power.

"Coming Mom!"

Soon, he makes his entrance and walks slowly down the stairs. I roll my eyes. This boy is more dramatic than I am.

He runs his hand across his short wavy brown locks.

"Are you going to get off the landing and say hi to your friend or not? This isn't a fashion show my boy."

I laugh at what Jessica just said. This woman could tell off anyone. Except my mom. Definitely not my mom. Or my grandma.

"So what'd you call me for?" Marco asks when we are out of his parents' house.

"Oh, nothin Marc. I just wanna hang out with-"

"I'm in." He cuts me off.

I look into his hazel eyes for any sign of deception or uncertainty. Nope.
He's always the first one to dive in head first into these things with me.