11

Renegade

"How is this of any relevance, Father Ramon? Can't you see that it is us who are under threat? I cannot let my people live in trepidation." My mother says.

She is coldly serious and wearing a black gown that made her resemble a Magistrate. All members of the Council of Supernaturals wear these gowns during an official meeting apparently. Raider and I are dressed in identical formal wear and sitting on either side of our mother.

The vampire King sits on the opposite side of us, with Tory beside him. The two are very much alike, in looks and in attitude. They seem to not enjoy formal meetings all too much.

"I would like to add that it is vital that we take immediate action, Father Ramon. We cannot risk our people. If the dragons are able to incinerate the vampire and werewolf kingdoms, it wouldn't be long until they start advancing on the rest of us." Queen Darcy of the witches adds.

Her sweet, bubbly personality is left at home. I have never seen Darcy this menacing, or authoritative. Her glare is icy and her silvery crown makes her look more of an evil queen.

"I understand your views, Queen Darcy, Alpha Chloe. I must stress that the animal shifters are not prepared to face this. We may be the kingdom with the largest current total population, but we do not have the resources to aid if a war does break out." Father Ramon, the man with the large beard says.

"Enough! Must there always be a dispute before we agree to something?" The demon royalty, Queen Desdemona speaks up.

Her son, Prince Malthas, stifles a yawn and I grin at him.
I feel the same way. I mouth at him.

His black soulless eyes dilate. From my many shady encounters with demon-folk, I learned the dilation of their eyes meant amusement. Or alarm.

I wouldn't mind being acquainted with Prince Malthas. He seems like the kind of person who would love my mischievous company.

"Alpha Chloe, Queen Desdemona, your offspring might want to have a word in this conversation? They seem to be quite the bucolic kind." Father Ramon says.

His beady green eyes shoot daggers at Prince Malthas and I. Distaste is clear on his long face.

Queen Desdemona looks livid. Not at her son, but at Father Ramon. My own mother glares at him too. He did just call the Demon Prince and I uncouth. To add, he subtly insulted our upbringing.

"Let us remind you that you are not our superior, Father Ramon. It would be wise to know your place. Let us discuss the issue at hand and find a way forward. We have important matters to attend to in our kingdoms after this meeting." Queen Darcy states.

"I agree with Queen Darcy. I have to prepare my vampiric folk for this since you are seemingly too incompetent to take all of this seriously, Father Ramon." King Antonio adds.

The old man adjusts his glasses and stands up as if he were a professor who just had a wad of gum thrown at his face.
"I refuse to be insulted in such way. What right have you to speak such ill of me?"

"Dude, did he just change his accent?" I mind-link my brother.

"Some people do that when they're angry. Don't forget this man's lived long enough to have met Shakespeare."  He responds almost immediately.

"Damn he's old! And to live over 400 years without getting laid-"

"Don't finish that sentence."

He blocks me out so I can't communicate telepathically with him anymore. I roll my eyes.

As I refocus on what is happening around me, I am taken aback to see Father Ramon floating midair.