17

Renegade

The dragon prince. He is the one who saved me.
I take in a sharp breath to calm myself.

His presence causes my senses to go on hyperdrive. I know he is standing at least five feet away from me.

"How long have you been standing there?" I ask tentatively.

He walks slowly closer to me, as if I am an angry pitbull growling at him. He stands directly behind me. I feel his hot breath on my neck. I turn around and fold my arms.

I do not know what is stopping me from mind-linking my parents. Is it the fact that I am drawn to him like an ant to sugar? Or is it because I cannot help but feel safe in his presence?

"I only showed when I was certain you were dressed." He says.

His voice is rich and deep, as if he sings often. I wonder what his melodic voice would sound while singing.

"I believe I haven't properly introduced myself to you."

"You did, Prince Prometheus." I state in a duh tone.

Prometheus gives me a half-smile. A dimple shows on his right cheek.

He bends down one knee and extends his right hand as if he wants me to take it.

"Prometheus Kironeo Vedraken, of the Norili tribe. I humble myself before you and offer my loyalty to you."

While he says this, his eyes are trained to the ground. He only lifts his head to look at me.

I raise an eyebrow in question.

"You're supposed to put your hand in mine if you accept. If you reject my..." He pauses in hesitation, "my offer of acquaintance, I'll understand."

I stare at his open hand. It is twice the size of mine. I bite my lip. His ember eyes roam my face.

Should I place my hand in his? Knowing that he is my mother's enemy? Even though his kind has declared war on us?

"How do I know if I should trust you?" I ask skeptically.

"Because if I didn't trust you, I wouldn't have left myself vulnerable to you. Trusting me is your choice, breaking that trust is mine."

He is being sincere. If he wanted us dead, he would have torched us already.

With Ailith's approval, I put my right hand in his large one. He stands up immediately and beams at me. His dimples are on display.

He is so freaking gorgeous. His chocolate skin glows in the soft light, eyes sparkling and hair looking as soft as his radiant skin.

"I promise this is not good bye, Renegade. My loyalty lies with you and you alone." He says as he lets go of my hand.

I find myself missing his warmth. Though the fall breezes are chilly, he wears a tight burgundy t-shirt and gray sweatpants.
I bite my lip and try to focus on his face.

Give us a break, will you? It's okay to be a little naughty. Glancing quickly is not a crime. Ailith whines.

I will not allow myself to 'glance' at his crotch. He respected me enough to not look while I was dressing up.

"See you soon, Prometheus."

He exits through the balcony door without forgetting to close the curtains.

I perch on the bed and run my hands through my hair.

What just happened?

•••