15

Renegade

I hold my breath as the creature lowers its head to growl at us while making eye contact.

Our feeble forms are mice compared to the monster in front of us. Chances of surviving this unscathed are extremely low.

Tory takes my hand in his and squeezes it.
"Renegade, I -"

I push Tory to the right. We both topple away from the ground that is being scorched by fire.
That was close.

"Tory, we have to lure it away from human civilization." I say.

As I stand up, I see a monstrous tail about to slam into me. I duck, avoiding the dragon's tail from flinging me across the forest.

But I don't notice it coming back at me from behind.
The ground disappears from beneath my feet as I am hurtled. My head spins and my stomach leaps. I feel nauseated and dizzy.

It isn't long before I hit the ground. Painfully. If I were human, I probably would have shattered many bones and died on impact.

I try to sit up, but my arms give out. I still feel dizzy. The distinct smell of blood alerts me why. I hit my head too hard.

My eyelids droop, but I fight for consciousness. It's like a battle, a battle between my subconscious mind and I. I want to keep my eyes open, but my body and mind refuse.

Darkness.

No, I lift my eyelids. Through the slits, I see fire. I smell more blood. It dribbles down my nostrils. My heartbeat slows down.

Darkness.

I feel myself gently being lifted in someone's arms. My head lolls to the side and into their chest. It is a male, but not Tory.
The amount of heat radiating off of this being is too high for him to be a vampire.

I would sniff this person for better identification, but my nosebleed renders my nasal senses useless.

For now, while I am surprusingly still conscious and aware of my environment, I can only rely on my heightened hearing.

I hear Tory desperately shouting my name wherever he is.
"Renegade!"

"Ory." I croak.

I force open my eyelids. Ember eyes stare into my own. I see a bushy black brow, furrowed in concern.

"Don't strain yourself." Says a soothing voice.

Darkness engulfs me. I decide to follow the voice's instruction. 

I feel safe, and protected. A steady heartbeat keeps my breathing calm and rhythmic.
Nothing can hurt me. Nothing will hurt me, not while the voice is nearby.

I give in to the oblivion that comes with losing consciousness.

Justina

I throw another stone into the lake. The pebble skids a few times before sinking. I stare at an ant, carrying a piece of food clearly bigger than it.

"Spitfire, we should just go." I say to my sister.

We do not need to invigilate the mainlanders. I have had enough of them to last me a very long lifetime. However, Spitfire continues sitting on a boulder, hugging her legs to herself.

"I'm not leaving Prom behind." She replies in our native language, shaking her head.

And I'm not leaving her behind, even though I know there are six guards circling the sky, hidden in the thick gray clouds. As her older sibling, it is in my nature to want to protect her as if she were a wyrmling.