3

Renegade

"Is it me, or is the new girl weird?" Tiffany says while poking at her macaroni.

"What's weird is her timing." Marco replies.

We are sitting in the cafeteria at our table way back in a corner where we can see everything going on. 
Justina is sitting next to the restrooms eating her lunch.

Ew. How on Earth can one be comfortable sitting near the restrooms?

"Yeah. There was an attack on your pack lands yesterday, next day, she shows up? What makes it more suspicious is that she's not just taking the wolves' subjects, she's in all of the supernaturals classes." Tiffany continues.

"She's also in Anton's vampire history class. There's no issue with English, Math and Second language since all those are usually jumbled up species classes." Marco continues.

"Let's invite her to the Quidditch game this Friday." I suggest.

"I wonder if she's a Warrior, or one of us Knights." Marco says with his mouth full of burger meat.

A plan is forming in my head. We will find out who and what Justina is. And the game is the perfect set up.
Quidditch is very popular in our school anyways. There was a huge rally supported by the witch Princess Rosalia during my freshman year where thousands of teenage witches signed a petition to introduce a sport that all witches could participate in at Anjelica Halo High.
And what other formidable sport for witches is there except the world reknown fictional game made up by a human author?

No other schools have introduced the sport yet, so the school randomly divided all the students into two houses so we have two teams. The Krossbow Warriors and the Junior Knights.
This system has provided some form of friendly rivalry inside the school, but we are still united as the world reknown Anjelica Halo High School for Supernaturals.

"Wouldn't be surprised if she's neither." I say as I pop a fry into my mouth.

"Those are so bad for you, Rade." Tiffany pipes up.

"It's a vegetable, Tiff. A sliced, fried, seasoned and crunchy vegetable." I roll my eyes and dump all of them into my eager mouth.

When we finish eating, we put our trash in the can and our trays on the counter. I growl when I remember that we still have to pick up notes for Tamreen.

I redirect us to another part of the school that's underground. I don't understand why Potions classes are always taught underground. Even in some witch schools I've heard of teach Potions in  dungeon-like classrooms.

We climb down a few flights of stairs and reach a locked door. I sigh as I realize that we'll have to go to the staff room to find Tamreen's teacher.

"Quite some exercise we're receiving here." Tiffany groans.

We reach ground level and decide to take a stop by some lockers. Tiffany leans against the wall while I take out my clutch pencil from my pocket and fiddle with it. I've developed a habit of fiddling with random objects when nothing else has my attention.

New kid at three o'clock. Ailith growls.

I turn to my right, and looking broody as ever, Justina walks closer to us. She completely ignores Marco while glaring at me.

"Could you move?" She grumbles at Tiffany.

"I could." Tiffany huffs out with equal attitude, but stays put.

The two of them glare daggers at each other. I simply fold my arms and mind-link Marco.

"Let's bet five dollars Tiff will throw the first punch."

Marco smirks. "Wouldn't be surprised if Justina goes first. She's got one hell of a glare."

"Looks like we gotta bet on it, then."

"You're on, Halo."

Justina is the first to break the staredown with a well executed uppercut. Tiffany gasps before slapping the smirk off Justina's face.

"Bitch!" Justina says as her inferno eyes glow brighter.

Marco and I decide to break them up. I pull Tiffany back while he handles Justina.

"You know what, that's enough hostility. Y'all don't even know each other yet you're behaving as if you're sworn enemies." Marco snaps.

"I asked her to move and she didn't." Justina retorts and I swear I just saw a wisp of smoke exit her nostrils. 

"That's no reason to go punching wolves you don't know" I say with a bored tone.

She continues glaring at Tiffany and I, but starts to calm down a bit. She inhales through her nose and exhales through her mouth.

"Sorry, it's just...I'm new here and everyone's giving me weird looks. It kinda puts me on edge." Justina huffs out.

"We all need to blow off some smoke. Come to the Quidditch game with us this Friday." Marco suggests peacefully.

Justina stands down and analyzes Marco. When she is satisfied, she huffs and nods.

Tiffany moves aside for Justina to access the locker that started this bickering. I catch a glimpse of the books she takes out and one catches my attention.

Supernatural Species: Defined

The cover is eerily black and made of leather. It's about twice as thick as a human world records book.

Justina quickly stacks two textbooks over it and places them all neatly into her schoolbag. She turns around and leaves without a word.

Tiffany, Marco and I head off to the staff room to find Mr Ludwig and get Tamreen's notes. While the two discuss plans for the Quidditch game, my mind is racing.

Where did Justina get that book from? Why does she have it? Is that book linked to why she takes vampire, shifter and witch subjects?

Whatever I need to know, I might find my answers in it. It sure as hell looks suspicious. After thinking for some time, I draw my conclusion.

I need to get my hands on that book.

Justina is hiding something. And I am going to find out what.