12

Renegade

"I come on behalf of my kind. I am here to give you a formal warning." Prince Prometheus says and then pauses.

"This is between my adversaries and I. May all others leave." His voice lowers.

Darcy moves to stand alongside my mother, showing that she is our faithful ally. Desdemona and her son stand adjacent to King Antonio.

The dragon shifter flares his nostrils, causing a small wisp of smoke to exit through them. I wonder if dragon shifters have nose hair, would the hot smoke particles cling onto them or roast them?

Father Ramon, however, recomposes himself and strides out of the room. I glare at his backside. How I detest his actions.

The disgruntled prince scrutinizes each person standing in front of him. Antonio, Desdemona, Darcy, Tory...
Although having never met, he and my mother exchange deathly stares as if they are sworn long-term enemies. Like the dreaded Capulets and Montagues most high school students loathe.

The dragon prince then looks at me. I feel my stomach churning as his entrancing wildfire eyes stare into my storm cloud gray ones.

Except, he does not seem to be glaring at me. I feel the more intense heat emanating from him in waves, which causes my accelerated heart rate.

I blink and look away. I can still feel his gaze on me. I want to say something, but my tongue is held back.

"Call off your experiments. Or else wolf skin and vampire fang necklaces will be our latest fashion trend. My King will be deploying our troops to each kingdom. Farewell." He turns around and makes his way out, leaving the rag cloak on the floor.

Experiments? What does he mean? What does he know? I think to myself.

The prince steals one more glance at me, which causes a chill up my spine. I can't stop staring at his build. He is definitely taller than my father, who is just under seven feet. His tailor-made suit fit him better than the gloves on his hands, exposing his broad shoulders and thick arms.

I stare at him until he vanishes down the hallway. He is definitely someone who receives a lot of attention. Be it wanted or unwanted, he got it.

And he got mine for a second there.

And mine, too. His beast is so powerful. He's probably the heir to the throne. Ailith purrs.

I grimace and focus on what is going on around me.

Another fit of madness.

Queen Desdemona is being held back by Darcy and Antonio.

"Let me go, Toni! Darcy! I want to teach that bearded bastard a lesson! He can't just walk out like that! I'll kill him eight thousand times!"  Desdemona shouts.

"Mona, murdering Ramon will do nothing but cause another war, which will do nothing but distract us from impending doom!" Darcy protests while gripping Desdemona's arms like one would a psychopath's. 

I sigh. Instead of appreciating that there are four kingdoms standing together, she complains that one other kingdom doesn't want to cooperate.

"Queen Desdemona, may I speak?" I say apathetically.

Though I addressed the demon queen, seven pairs of eyes all look at me.

I clear my parched throat.
"I believe that we should let Father Ramon be. Clearly the shifter kingdom isn't prepared for a war, seeing as they are scattered across every acre  in this continent."