chapter five

Iris sat in her bed, looking over to the guitar that sat in the corner of her room under her keyboard. She tapped her fingers against her thigh trying to muster the courage to walk over to the instrument. She hadn't played or sang since she the school year started. She felt herself getting nervous about trying to play again as she stood up from her bed to walk over to the small black stool.

She sat down, a breath leaving her lips as she picked up the Yamaha guitar. She held it under her arms, hugged against her chest as she strummed a familiar cord. The lyrics she wrote a few years ago still fresh in her mind as she recalled the cords.

Started crawling in my skin.

Looking for a way out.

I can feel it happening.

So, I talk myself down,

Cause right now

Iris stopped, her voice hoarse from lack of use. She tried clearing her throat, adjusting the guitar before continuing with the same cords.

The walls are starting to cave in.

Sometimes, I wish I was somebody else

When my mind starts misbehaving, that's when I tell myself.

Okay, baby, you'll be okay, you just gotta keep, gotta keep on

You just gotta keep on.

Rolling even on the bad days, you just gotta keep, gotta keep on

You just gotta keep on.

Iris felt a single tear roll down her cheek as she continued to sing the song she wrote when she was 13. Memories flashing in her mind of when she wrote the song, the chest tightening feeling of the panic attacks she used to have and the constant anxiety that followed.

Her grandmother stood outside her door, listening to the sound of her granddaughter's voice. She hadn't heard her sing in a while and it brought tears to her eyes when Iris' voice filled the apartment.

***

It had been a few months since the Halloween party disaster and Miguel was once again training at Cobra Kai.

"What's the second rule of the Way of the Fist?" Sensei Lawrence held up hand pads for Miguel who was punching them in a sequence.

"Strike hard."

"That's right." Sensei Lawrence praised the boy as he spun around to do a kick before returning to punching. "There's only one reason to hit someone. To inflict pain." Miguel paused as Sensei Lawrence dropped the gloves. "Striking hard is about giving your all." Miguel punched a few more times before the door swung open, the small bell signaling someone was coming in. "What the hell? No yoga till five. No matter how bad you need it."

"Um, I'm actually here for karate." Aisha walked up to the mat, a hesitant look on her face as she smiled at the two men in front of her. "I saw your website. It said that there was supposed to be a session today."

"I appreciate you coming in, but there are no girls in Cobra Kai." Miguel glanced at his Sensei, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Why not?"